Nikon F3 Repair Question

james_noel4

F3 Repair question for you folks. I want to replace the bottom plate but want a tool recommendation for holding the md coupling while loosening the holding

screw. A spanner with the right tips would work but I don't have one. Anyone make a tool to do this themselves? Was thinking of using a compass with two

metal tips that I could bend at 90 degrees to keep the screw access open. Any good ideas?

Also is there any place to buy replacement screws? The screws holding the bottom plate are a bit damaged. Still useable but makes me nervous.

Thanks!

<p>I use standard retainer ring removal pliers, the ones with the bent end. Works like a charm.<br>

For the screws, exchange the bottom screws with the one that hold the left and right top covers. these are located under the prism/view finder so remove the view finder. They are black. <br>

Just put a drop of white glue or similar on the worn ones and do not tighten them down so hard for future removal. They will not vanish on you and are covered by the prism.<br>

There are four screws to remove for the bottom cover. The two obvious ones, the MD coupler one and one located in the guide pin hole.<br>

Marc Fournier, Quebec</p>

<div>00dQpz-557967184.jpg.170014af30e4c41bc3312ec5762b33c2.jpg</div>

<p>I was just looking at those last night on the micro-tools website wondering if the tips were small enough which it appears the answer is yes. Awesome. Thanks!<br>

Brilliant idea on the screws. Never thought of white glue. That has to be much easier to break than loctite blue. <br>

Thank you for your help!</p>