Macro Mode Question

<p>Hi,<br>

I am wondering if when the macro mode is used, does it actually do anything to decrease the minimum focusing distance. (so that you would be able to get closer to the subject) For example, if the minimum focusing distance for a camera lens is 12 inches, would using the macro mode change the minimum focusing distance to lets say 8 inches.<br>

I know the macro mode will auto adjust the aperture, and I know that in many cases it is not truly macro but simply a close up mode. <br>

I'm just trying to figure out why manufacturers seem to make the macro mode out to be a big thing if it doesn't allow you to focus closer when it is used. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The answer here will be specific to the particular lens that you are using, but in general I would expect the deployment of a 'macro mode' would get you some additional lens extension (= closer focus). True macro gets you same-size reproduction and that won't happen with most lenses. Tell us your lens make/model and I am sure someone will come in with a specific answer.</p>

<p>If you're talking about compact digital cameras rather than DSLRs, then typically yes, macro mode does allow closer focusing, but often only at the shortest focal length.</p>

<p>If you're talking about DSLR lenses then few current lenses have a separate macro mode. Some have focus distance limiters because focus is slower if the lens has to search though its entire focus range with macro included.</p>

<p>Good question Keith, I've been wondering this too.</p>

<p>My girlfriend bought a Canon EOS 1200D (aka Canon EOS Rebel T5 in the Americas) and one of the "scene modes" seems to be some kind of macro mode (<a href="http://lookwhatmomfound.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DSLRDummies2-ModeDials.png">with a little flower icon</a>). She asked me what this mode does, as I'm supposed to be the camera expert, and to be honest, since it seems to be available regardless of the lens in use, I've no idea!</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Canon EOS 1200D . . . one of the "scene modes" seems to be some kind of macro mode <strong>(<a href="http://lookwhatmomfound.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DSLRDummies2-ModeDials.png" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">with a little flower icon</a>)</strong>. She asked me what this mode does,"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is Canon's "Close Up Mode" <strong>as is found on a DSLR</strong> (<strong><em>not</em></strong> a Compact Digital Camera) and this is different again to the descriptions of the Macro Mode found on a Compact Camera and the subject of a LENS for a DSLR Camera, (both of which Bob Atkins has outlined above).</p>

<p>On a Canon DSLR, the set of "Basic Zone Modes" (that is, all those with picture icons, the flower; the running man; the mountain . . . etc and the Green Rectangle), do not have an effect on the lens's focusing distance, however when any one of those Basic Zone Icons is selected, the camera <strong>automatically chooses a set of camera functions</strong> that it thinks will assist a good outcome.</p>

<p>Typically for the Flower Icon, (the "Close Up Mode"), the camera will set:<br /> > ISO Automatically<br /> > AWB<br /> > AF - 'ONE SHOT'<br /> > AF Point - AUTO<br /> > Metering Mode - EVALUATIVE<br /> > Drive - SINGLE SHOT <br /> > Flash (pop up flash) - AUTO</p>

<p>Additionally, <strong>the camera employs a set of preset algorithms which will adjust the exposure parameters of the particular shot</strong> to those which it thinks will best suit the genre of photography that is selected by choosing one of those icons.</p>

<p>Here are just two of the many examples:</p>

<p>The Flower Icon (Close Up) will, if possible, bias to a reasonably fast shutter speed. I assume that the logic behind this algorithm is because typically we would want to freeze and MOTION of a flower moving in the wind and also CAMERA SHAKE would be more easily noticed and very close focusing distances, than for a scene of distant mountain range.</p>

<p>On the other hand - for a scene of the SAME EV, if the Sports Icon (the Running Man) is selected, the camera if possible, will bias the exposure parameters to a FASTER Shutter Speed. I assume this is because for most sports shots, we want to freeze the action as our main priority.</p>

<p>One can spend hours interrogating the nuances of the exposure algorithms of Canon's 'Basic Camera Modes', and oddly the information gained has been both interesting and also practically useful, at least to me.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Bob, yes it does. Again, this is evidenced by comparing/contrasting Close Up Mode with Sports Mode.</p>

<p>But note that nuances change, depending upon the EV of the scene. In the comparison that I made above, typically for a bright EV (around EV = 14~15), the difference of the Shutter Speed can be even greater than one stop.</p>

<p>On the other hand, typically for a slightly darker scene, Close Up Mode and Sports Mode may not have a vastly different Shutter Speed: but the camera will increase the ISO for the Close Up Mode to allow for a smaller Aperture to be maintained. </p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>What's the point of simple mode selection when you need a manual and/or forum help to decipher it? Is it that difficult learn the meaning of f/stop, shutter speed, ISO and focus, before selectiing "P" for professional mode, or AUTO?</p>

<p>I'm sorry to say my Sony A7 has modes like "portrait", "sports" and "sunset", but buried deep in the menu system - naturally without explanation as to their meaning. I got no further than the first selection, "standard," which hopefully means flat line. Perhaps the menu's a relic from Sony's point-and-shoot days in an otherwise professional camera ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"What's the point of simple mode selection when you need a manual and/or forum help to decipher it?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Perhaps the question is a tongue in cheek comment rather than a question: but one logical answer to the question is - the Camera Mode options are there primarily for people who neither want a detailed consult of the User Manual nor an analysis from a Photography User's Forum - they rather just want a camera that takes pictures.</p>

<p>Canon DSLR's and Compact Cameras follow a pattern of placing the Camera Mode Selections on an easy to use dial, probably that's a good selling point and also an easy to use functionality for those folk who take a more simple and automated approach to the technical aspects of Photography.</p>

<p>Canon's Basic Camera Modes seem to me to based upon quite sophisticated algorithms and do a quite a good job under a wide range of lighting scenarios.</p>

<p>If Sony bury their Camera Mode Options deep in the menu system, then there might be a TR&D Rationale for that choice, or maybe it was a thoughtless process altogether - and that's quite another topic to ponder.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

Thanks for your responses. I thought this would be an easy question. But once again, can anyone say they are 100% sure that using the macro mode will allow closer focusing than the regular minimum focusing distance? Or can I conclude that all the macro mode does is automatically change the other camera to settings to what would probably work best for overall close up shooting?</p>

I would say with certainty that one is enabled to get closer to the flower in the macro mode in a simple camera. And the zoom settings and other settings are designed to augment the closeness factor. I have used it on occasion and it enables closer sharp focus by means of such settings. Got it now?

<p>The advantage of using the "macro" mode on my Fuji T-Pro is that it doesn't take as long for the autofocus to focus close-up. It doesn't allow photographing closer than the len's minimum focusing distance so it's somewhat of a misnomer. --Sally</p>

• 1 year later...

I know of 3 conditions which could be labeled as macro mode.

1. built into the lens system on a non ILC or ILC.

2. not reversed with an extension tube or bellows on an ILC.

3. reversed on an ILC

Each of these would(?) yield closer focusing distances of varying degrees. I just conducted a desktop experiment with my Pana LX5 and a can of peanuts for condition #1. In macro mode I measured 0.3” from the label to the lens. Without macro for a sharp LCD image the distance increased to ~10”. My answer to the original question with this specific camera would be yes. Results from any other camera would only be available only from a similar experiment.