Nikkor 20-35 as secondary lens?

fabian_anthonioz

<p>Hi everyone!<br>

My actual kit is a D90 + sigma 10-20 and i also carry a nikkor 50 f1.4D prime and Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I find myself using the sigma 80% of the time, and the 50mm is lightweight and takes no place to carry. I don't use the tamron that much and i'm looking for a nikkor 20-35 f2.8 as complementary lens as the 20-35 matches the 10-20 range and is said to be a razor sharp zoom lens, also is not that heavy/bulky for a f2.8 zoom lens<br>

<br />is it a good idea? or maybe i should save the money and stick to my tamron?</p>

<p>Do you <em>NEED</em> f/2.8? Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (I never got the idea of a 28-xx lens on DX, 28mm seems just too inconvenient as a starting point).<br>

Don't need f/2.8? The lenses Peter mentioned.<br>

Or consider adding just the 35mm f/1.8, which is cheap, small, light and a good performer.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"is it a good idea? or maybe i should save the money and stick to my tamron?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, it is not a good idea. If you do not use the 28-75mm Tamron lens much, why replace it with a lens that has an identical f-stop and a similar zoom range.</p>

<p>I recommend saving the money and sticking with the Tamron.</p>

<p>I make this recommendation even though I own, use, and love the 20-35mm (see lens on right in attached photo).</p>

<p> Nikon Zooms

<div>00dGGA-556506984.JPG.63e8aae76617222aea7268be6f0d6a6c.JPG</div>

<p>It is not the F2.8 itself that makes it sharper. Perhaps you would like the Nikkor 10-24 or 12-24 more than your current Sigma?</p>

<p>A 20-35/2.8 on DX corresponds to a 30 mm, which is not much of a wide angle. To me, that would be more important than it not beeing a 2x zoom. Why not have a look at Nikon's wide angle DX zooms and perhaps consider replacing the Tamron you barely use with a Nikkor 85/1.8 for those photos that need slightly more reach than your 50 gives?</p>

<p>I have recently gotten a 20-35/2.8D to use until something that is inexpensive, better, and not too large comes along for FX cameras. The lens is good enough stopped down some, but is not always great when used open at f/2.8 on my D810. </p>

<p>On a DX sensor camera, I would think that the 17-55/2.8 Nikon, or other choices mentioned above including Tamron/Sigma equivalents would be better, especially if the OP plans to upgrade to a 24MP DX camera in the future.</p>

<p>what you want to do--replace a light 2.8 zoom with a heavier 2.8 zoom with limited range--doesnt make all that much sense. bokeh is better @ 75mm than 35mm. the 28-75 is indeed a money lens, maybe you should use it more. on DX its a 112mm on the long end so great for portraits. if the issue is the gap between 20 and 28, i would consider switching the wide-angle, not the mid-range zoom--check out the nikon 10-24 or the new tokina 12-28.</p>