550 EX compared to 540 EZ ?

pc1

i have , and been using a 550 EX the past two yrs. bought it

brand new , never had a problem. now i would like to know, is there a

big difference between the two ,550 EX and 540 EZ , aside from ETTL

and ATTL , and 550 EX capable of being master and slave too ??

i use my 550 EX on my EOS 1 and EOS 5 QD , which are both B

bodies. it really doesn't bother me, not being able to experience

ETTL nor ATTL , just TTL, but then again , a pro photographer friend

of mine , keeps on asking me to exchange flashes , coz he's got the

1V,and 540 EZ . so wanna hear any suggestions and comments pls. i

know i'll get ATTL , but then again how great a change would that be

for me and my photos ?? thanks ,, pc

One other issue to consider is if you ever plan on upgrading to a DSLR. As far as I understand, you can only use a EX series flash on them. Also if you plan on upgrading to a newer film camera body you might want some of the features the 550EX has including the ones you mentioned on the comparison. When it comes down to it, I believe they have the same light output and general, easy to use lay out.

It would also be worth considering whether or not he is a close freind who do the same for you if the tables were turned. I would figure that since you have the EOS1 and the EOS 5 you may not be looking to upgrade anytime soon. I have noticed that my 630 and Elan7 give the same readings in flash mode using my 300EZ so I don't think ther is a big difference between Attl and TTL. I have tried it in some pretty weird light and scenes too. They both give the same reading when the 300EZ is on them. You could also see if he has anyother little goodies to sweeten the deal!

The 550EX offers nothing the 540EZ doesn't have if you are using a B type body. The 540EZ will be just as good & easier to operate. With a type A body the EX offers E-TTL, wireless mastering, Flash Exposure Lock & high speed sync. And as has been pointed out, the digital Canon's require an E-TTL capable flash for TTL metering.

I'd swap, but only if he threw in an extra $100. The 540EZ is older & cost less when new. The 550EX is easily worth the extra $100 for the person who can take advantage of its features.

thanks guys for the suggestions and quick response , it's funny because this is the same guy that was selling me his G2 for US$450.00,then changed his mind,and kept it. so i bought myself a V3,and i'm enjoying this little point & shoot,better than him enjoying his G2.don't get me wrong,i don't think i could afford a DSLR in the near future ,i'm gonna stick with my film cameras, the 1 & 5 QD, and my EF 100 mm F2 ,on the 1,and 24-85mm and 100-300 mm alternately used on my 5, and 550 EX , no i don't think i'll trade my flash. thanks again.

oh, by the way, i'll try and upload a pic i took w/ my little V3 , and see what you guys say bout it, would appreciate any comments,positive or negative. pc<div>004Pv3-11096784.JPG.55772f1435d7d88d2ff354cff9c1d1b1.JPG</div>

I own 2 540EZ's and a 550ex. I too have a couple eos1 bodies, and the 540's performed flawlessly on them. I also use an Ikelite TTL wireless slave unit for multi flash with excellent results.

I bought a canon G2, and could only do manual flash with the 540's... no big deal. A month ago i picked up a D30 though, and it won't even fire my 540, so I immediately ordered a 550EX and an ST-E2 transmitter (i bought that more to assist the D30 in low light AF, but I like off camera flash too).

I actually LOVE using the 550 on my G2... makes a great package for shooting parties and gatherings where people get shy from a giant slr and L lens pointing in their face.

I would NOT trade. Your 550 is much more 'futureproof' than a 540ez.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
<p>Let me clear up a lot of confusion. The 540EZ is a great flash, and is completely compatible with ALL DSLR bodies. You can view my website, www.jandjstudio.com. All shots have been taken with natural light or a 540EZ flash. I have used it with 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, and 5D bodies. However, you get no automatic features, no E-TTL, you can only effectively use it in manual mode, so if you are a good photographer you will have no problem using the 540EZ with your body in manual mode, but if you require automatic settings and don't know how to use manual modes, get the EX series because otherwise a EZ will be a crutch.</p>