medium format projectors for slide film

sanjay_chaudary

The Gepe mounts at B&H that you link to are not for images from a 6x7 camera - they are for panoramic 35mm images from the likes of the Noblex camera I have that I mentioned earlier. You can clearly see the image format that they are intended for in the image on the B&H listing.

<p>I've wondered if MF slide projection could be DIY'ed. With the advent of arrays of cool, efficient, super-bright white LEDs, could a compact lightbox be built, with a standard projection lens positioned vertically above it, and immediately above that a first-surface 45 degree mirror, facing the screen? Flatness would be improved over normal slide projectors due to the slide lying flat "on its back", and the whole archaic paraphernalia of scorching hot, power-hungry bulbs, heat-rejection filters, and massive power supplies would be no more.</p>

<p>Ray, unfortunately, that's not how it works. You need point source of light, smaller the better, for efficient projection. I've spent some time experimenting with bright LEDs, but as all the high-power LEDs are actually arrays of LEDs, their size is far from "point" and the result was too dim. Next I'm going to experiment with Xenon bulbs.</p>

<p>I have tried out the RZ for all kind of photos (not professionally, Photography is just a hobby!). I have taken it outdoors too. Even on travel with family! But finally have come to the conclusion that the RZ system is for indoor work. Just not practical for outdoors - the weight of the camera + lens(es?) + mandatory tripod becomes too much to carry around. Except if location is within 50m of the car! And photography is the sole objective of the travel.<br>

Shipping intercontinental is indeed something to worry about. 67 projectors are heavy. The Goetschmann model I have weighs 22kgs and with the trunk case it is 36kgs! You could insure it but this will only get your money back - it will not be repairable in India!!<br>

Check the gecko-cam.com website. They have a section on Goetschmann projectors. All models are shown with pricelist. They also offer used equipment but individual items are not listed. Send them an email with what you want and they will reply. I bought slide trays from them and the whole transaction went smoothly.<br>

B&H does not carry any mounts for 67 when I checked today. It seems Gepe online store is the only hope. I have heard that Wess mounts are good too.<br>

Linhof projector - no idea<br>

ProCabin - offers only a push pull option. Heating issue is responded by David. Lenses I have no experience<br>

Goetschmann - check the Gecko Cam website. It shows all models. There are two with the slide tray option. All lenses are good. Choose one depending on projection distance and image size desired. Gecko Cam will surely give you good advice on these matters.</p>

<p>A low cost option for a push-pull projector that will handle 6x7, 6x9 or even 6x12 is an old boardroom lantern slide projector. Some of these are high quality units with excellent lenses. To mount slides all you need are two sheets of picture frame glass and some binding tape. I've seen several go in the $40-$50 range with multiple lenses.</p>

<p>Hi, small issue that I ran into :<br>

bhphotovideo catalog shows supported power supply as 110-230v, 50/60Hz. However the listings on some of online ads show 110-120 V. This is for Mamiya Procabin projector.<br>

Am I missing something? I would appreciate your advice.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...