Midrange zoom to pair with Canon 5D

<p>Of course, the Canon EF 24-70 L lenses - f/4 and f/2.8.<br>

I have, use, and like the EF 24-105mm L lens. It's an even handier range than the 24-70, but not as fast as the 24-70 f/2.8. <br>

There is a cheaper, newer EF 24-105mm <em>non</em>-L STM version which you might consider, depending on how much video you do.</p>

<p>I, too, have had good luck with Tamron and Sigma lenses, but have none in this focal length range.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Assuming you want to stick with something fast (you don't specify), the field is pretty full nowadays. </p>

<p>The best bang for your buck is probably the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC USD. Great IQ (surpassing the 24-70/2.8L (original)), VC (the only fast one w/ image stabilization), FTM capable USD... only $1300</p>

<p>There's the Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG HSM - probably run you ~$800, but gets a bit soft shy of f4 (ie @ f2.8/3.2/3.5 is diminishingly softer than the others - beyond that though it's very good)</p>

<p>The best of course is the 24-70/2.8L II - and at $2300 it darn well better take great pictures from WO, and get you coffee in the morning - it doesn't (get you coffee in the morning), nor does it have IS... Aside from stunningly stupid design oversight (in my personal opinion) though it's perhaps the sharpest zoom in existence.</p>

<p>If you are willing to go slow (f4) the field only gets wider...</p>

<p>It is understood that you ask the broad question: "what options", but please answer -</p>

<blockquote>

<p>to fill in the gap between my wide angle lens and. . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>1. What "wide angle lens"?<br /> 2. What 70 to200 F/2.8?<br /> 3. Is Lens Stabilization important?</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Many thanks for all the responses. I own a Sigma 12-24 mm f/4.5-5.6 AF II DG HSM and Canon 70-200 L US. I am mostly interested in lens quality and sharpness . Image stabilization is not a huge thing as I mostly will use a tripod. I reckon the older version Canon 24-70 2.8 is available as well and could offer cost savings without compromising image quality. I have never used a Tamron lens but Marcus seems to be impressed with it , so will consider that as well.</p>

<p>I was pretty impressed with it, especially given it's price. Now that it's been out awhile, it looks like you can get them new online for ~ $900 (who knew?). Considering that a used 24-70/2.8L will run you more (and usually doesn't come with a 6yr warranty), the logic isn't rocket science - especially when the Tamron's IQ met or exceeded that of the L (well mine anyway - and mine is in pretty good shape).</p>

<p>However, given that you've never used that brand before, you may want to try it before you purchase one. I might suggest you try renting a unit to see how it performs for you. Who knows, that gold ring may annoy the heck out of you (or something else ;) )!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use both the Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC USD and the Canon 24-105/4 IS USM. The 24-105 is a good walk around lens, light and slightly longer reach for when F/2.8 isn't needed. I mostly wanted the 24-70/2.8 to shoot handheld and with indoor ambient lighting so the VC was a deciding factor for me. That and the price difference. While the Tamron isn't quite as sharp as the Canon 24-70 Mark II, it is very, very good. Which makes it really hard for a hobbyist like myself to justify the price difference between the Tamron and the Canon Mark II.</p>

<p>Samples:<br /> Tamron:<br /> <a href="http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/family_pictures_christmas_2014">http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/family_pictures_christmas_2014</a><br /> <a href="http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/family_pictures_layne_bday_6">http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/family_pictures_layne_bday_6</a>:<br /> Canon:<br /> http://www.pbase.com/lmwalker/family_hawaii_07_2014</p>

<p>Thanks for answering.</p>

<p>I've used the Tamron lens that Marcus has mentioned. I own the 24 to 105/4L IS and the 24 to 70/2.8L (the original one) and I have used the 24 to 70/2.8L MkII also.</p>

<p>The reason that I did not buy the Tamron lens is because the zoom turret on the one I was using was not smooth throughout the zoom compass and that was important to me as I was mainly going to use the Lens for Video work. I only used one copy of the Tamron Lens. In all other aspects I found that Tamron Lens exceptional value for money and, it seems now, it is even less expensive, so I think that you would be wise to have a good look at one. Tamron Lenses' Focus Turrets are the opposite way to Canon Lenses, if that matters to you.</p>

<p>I think that you would be UNhappy with the EF24 to 105F/4 L USM, if you place a lot of emphasis on extremely high quality IQ and especially if you need to use the lens at F/4~F/5.6. I think that this is a wonderful lens for my purpose, which is my go everywhere lens for my 5D Series cameras. This was the last lens that I boght and I considered it my 'luxury item excessive to my needs'.</p>

<p>That is not to say the IQ of the 24 to 105 F/4 L IS USM is poor, it is very good, but the: EF 24 to 70 F/2.8 L; the EF 24 to 70 F/2.8L MkII and the Tamron 24 to 70 F/2.8 VC are all better (and all are a stop faster).</p>

<p>I have not used any Sigma Lenses for many years, so no comment there.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>I know that you stated that you want options for a zoom lens, but I am always keen on exploring all options: in this regard, and because you want extreme image quality and also mention that you will mostly be using a tripod (implied that you have plenty of time to change lenses etc), you might consider a pair or even a triplet of Primes - 35 and 50 - or 28, 35 and 50.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Many thanks William , Marcus and Mike for an insightful discussion. It appears that the Tamron lens deserves serious consideration as it seems to offer a good balance of cost and quality. Buying the Canon may offer a marginal advantage in quality. I did find a used EF 24-70 2.8 L in good condition for less than 1000 but with Tamron I will be getting a brand new lens for that price. I do like the idea of prime lens as they always appear to be distinctively sharper than the zoom lenses' and I have a 400 5.6 which I love, but I feel that the zoom may be better suited to this focal length range in my opinion. Besides my camera bag is literally bursting at the seems. Perhaps some day William .</p>

<p>I have had both the 24-105/4 L and the 24-70/2.8 L, and have to say that the image quality of the 24-70/2.8 L II exceeds that of those zooms by a considerable margin. It really does deliver the resolution and contrast of prime lenses. I realize it's expensive, but really can't praise it enough. </p>

<p>I just re read my last post.</p>

<p>For clarity, I do NOT want to make the implication that the Tamron Lens has better image quality than the EF 24 to 70 F/2.8 MkII.</p>

<p>I was however stating that the Tamron 24 to 70/2.8 is good value for money and also better IQ than the 24 to 105F/4 L IS.</p>

<p>Of the four zoom lenses which I mentioned that I've used, (I concur with Mark), the EF 24 to 70 F/2.8L MkII has the best IQ</p>

<p>WW</p>