Backpack Ape Case? Tried a Lowepro DSLR 350

evilsivan

Trying to find the right case for a trip. The Lowepro DSLR 350 was too small for my modest kit. It wouldn't

really fit a D750 w 70-200 f4. The Ape Case ACPRO3000 looks right and the dimensions are bigger according to the

specs. But not a single review of it anywhere. Seems like Ape Case has a decent reputation. My kit is a D750 with

one of 4 lenses attached and then the other stuff can go up top. Is that weird that there's no reviews?

<p>The smallest Thinktank "Airport" bag might be the right size. I have two Airport Commuter (mid-sized) backpacks, one for a Nikon kit with three f/2.8 zooms and a 300/4 AF-S, which sounds like more capacity than you need. I have a Thinktank Approach 15 for a mirrorless kit with a 70-200/4. That lens is only 6" long, and fits just fine. The Approach bag might not be deep enough for a D750, however. A friend looked at mine for a Canon 5d and thought it too small.</p>

<p>I prefer a back pack with a full-length zippered lid. The Ape Case wouldn't appeal to me because access to gear is awkward despite the glowing descriptions. If I need to carry lunch, I use a paper bag, or for clothing, a roll-aboard.</p>

<p>Perhaps a Thinktank "Rotation" is the ticket - the lower compartment slides on the waist belt for easy access from the top of that section. You can stow gear, clothing or whatever in the upper section.</p>

<p>To access anything from the side or bottom rear of the Ape Case without removing the pack, you'd have to be more flexible than the eponymous ape. Unless I'm schepping a lot of weight or for a long distance, I carry a backpack by one strap over my shoulder. It's not that hard to set down and retrieve gear. If setting the bag down is not a desirable option, I sometimes carry a "day" shoulder bag with minimal gear to keep the weight below about 12 pounds. A shoulder bag with a lid that opens away from you is best.</p>

Thanks Edward, I'll check out the Rotation! Not a lot of camera stores where I live so its hard to check them in person. Amazon will let you return but gotta pay the return shipping. Better than getting stuck with a bag you don't like.