Solid and Dependable : The Voigtlander Vito BL

<p><br />While I have several of the Voigtlander Vito "B"series cameras, a friend offered me this very tidy example of the BL, complete with the neat little Voigtlander accessory rangefinder, one of the better gadgets of it's type. Of course, I could hardly refuse such a kind offer... Even if it did cost me a bottle of good Pinot Noir. This example is in very clean condition and works like a charm.</p>

<p>The original Vito B appeared in 1954 as a compact and very well-built viewfinder camera, with a variation in 1957 when the height of the body was increased to accommodate a Albada finder, an improvement over the original small Newton viewfinder, though purists argue that this development spoilt the original "classic" lines of the camera. Obviously, this is one of the later models.</p>

<p>There were several versions of the Vito B; the "BL" with uncoupled exposure meter and the somewhat rarer "BR" with coupled rangefinder. Lenses were the excellent 50mm Color-Skopar, a Tessar-type lens in either the f/3.5 or f/2.8 versions. This BL has the f2.8 lens, sharp and contrasty, and the dinky little Bewi exposure meter which was apparently fitted mainly to the export versions of the camera; flick the spring-loaded knob and the meter performs a little dance before settling on the correct aperture/speed combination. The domestic models were fitted with a more prosaic meter that just sat there, doing it's stuff. This example is still responsive and accurate.</p><div>00dNCN-557453684.jpg.8e60d489cc15621567143e343e62587e.jpg</div>

<p>The bottom of the camera has a somewhat overdone design with the hatch that opens and folds away to release the hinged back, a feature that carried over to the Vitomatics. Film loading is easy, and the shutter won't operate unless a passing film had revolved a set of sprockets that also operates the film counter; many a Voigtlander has been bought cheaply as "defective" because of an ignorance of this feature. The film counter, decremental in nature, is displayed in a window above the lens and is reset by the milled wheel visible against the body in this photograph. The shutter is the Prontor SVS with speeds from 1 to 1/300.</p><div>00dNCO-557453784.jpg.b23cfc635a48e548a7e85305b23223df.jpg</div>

<p>The B series continued in production until 1959/60, when it was replaced by the "C" series, cameras of lesser quality and poorer finish. The Vitomatic I and II cameras , very similar to the B, were a pinnacle of rangefinder camera design and manufacture, the Vitomatic IIa with coupled rangefinder and exposure meter and the superb Ultron lens being high on my list of desirable cameras. I have a couple with the Skopar lens, but the Ultron version would be pretty <br />close to being my ultimate fixed-lens rangefinder camera. Anyway, here are a few sample images, once again somewhat dull in nature, to match our winter weather, but I think the quality of the lens shines through. Arista EDU 100 processed in PMK Pyro, scans from a Epson 700.</p><div>00dNCP-557453884.jpg.132b1d44fe61eeca686f1220673e4495.jpg</div>
  • Like 1

<p>Paul, Rick's collection like mine just can't be photographed...no lens is wide enough!<br>

I must admit that I have a real soft spot for Voigtlander cameras, and my first collectable was the Prominent...downhill from there ):<br>

I do have a Vito B, very solid and reliable camera. Yes, they are simple, but that is an advantage when they are well built with top class lenses. I have the later Vito CLR, and as you say, the beancounters have really eaten away at the quality....the Skopar is still there though. With the C series camera you could really see the demise of Voigtlander....a real shame.<br>

As you say, the Skopar is a top flight performer, really one of the finest of the Tessar clones. Your photos show that lovely tonality that you are famous for, and I may have to ditch the Alfa for one of those Maseratis!</p>

<p>Rick,<br>

I have missed this forum! Its been a while since I have been around - life and such... but its such a pleasure to see that you are still posting these incredibly educational, entertaining and very visually pleasing chapters! I always learn so much, and I always drool a little, and I always admire your eye for composition (when you post colour I just hate you a little bit because you work in it like a master and I kind of wallow in it like a confused sloth caught in a paint ball cross fire... but I digress...). Funny you should post this, I was just fighting off an attack of GAS over an incredibly cheap B on the local classifieds... you're a bad influence.<br>

PS. How are the gnomes?</p>

<p>Thanks,<strong> Paul</strong>; as <strong>Tony</strong> observed, some things are better left un-chronicled, but I'm pleased you enjoy these posts. Thanks for your informative comments, <strong>Tony</strong>, and while I'm not a true motoring enthusiast that Maserati certainly quickened my interest, shall we say... Thanks, <strong>SP</strong>, your comments are always highly-valued.</p>

<p>Welcome back,<strong> Peter</strong>! I've missed your inimitable effervescence and your command of language... I gathered you like the post, and for that I'm grateful. The gnomes are in fine fettle and I shall tell them of your return. IIRC, you had a breeding flock of pink plastic flamingos; I trust your recent inclement weather has done them no harm. Go buy the "B"...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The bottom of the camera has a somewhat overdone design with the hatch that opens and folds away to release the hinged back,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Heresy. They probably had 3 of their finest engineers design the bottom. There is no somewhat about it. It is 'totally' overdone and for that we thank them.</p>

<p>Another fine post, Rick. I really like these overdone designs. It still shows in the designs the Germans use for their cars.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>Marc</strong>; I might try to do something on the Prominent before too long, and take the engineering excesses right off the scale. But deep down, I love the sheer quality, and the thought that has gone into these cameras. You're right, <strong>Donald</strong>, especially with our big winter jackets.</p>