DSLR vs mirrorless

kylebybee

<blockquote>

<p>w/o having to resort to the kludge that LiveView is on Nikon DSLRs</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why would you consider live view a "kludge"? Live view simply turns a DSLR into a mirrorless camera that only has an LCD but no EVF. That is how DSLRs capture video, and it indeed helps you fine tune your focus. It is just another feature on modern digital SLRs.</p>

<p>One thing I am certain about is that technology doesn't sit still. It will continue to change our ways to photograph.</p>

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Shun - Yes I consider it a "kludge" (perhaps too strong of a term) due to:<br>

- Poor screen quality when in live view - very difficult to see in bright light, etc.<br>

- Line skipping on my D800<br>

- Lack of articulated screen which would make it so much better to use in the field<br>

- Major time lag when tripping the shutter when in live view mode<br>

Though useful for sure (and I do use it), it could be so much better . . . and hopefully will be in the future</p>

<p>John, those problems are progressively getting solved. When the D800 came out in early 2012, the current mirrorless options were cameras like the Nex 5n and the E-PL1. Not slouches, by any means, but not the A6000, E-M1 and X-T1 you can get now. (Though the Nex 5n actually remains pretty good by any standards.) The D800 came out at the same time as the Fuji X-Pro1, which is a great camera but not at the level of current options in terms of technical performance in live view. Nikon's most recent options, like those from Fuji, Sony and Olympus, are quite good in live view.</p>

<p>John, those problems are not present in all DSLRs; the D810 has better image quality in live view than the D800 (less line skipping and a more detailed image), the D750 also has a tilting screen and both cameras can trip the shutter quite quickly and shoot at higher frame rates also in LV mode. For some reason Nikon's early live view implementations were quite bad.</p>

• 2 months later...
<p>The mirrorless cameras definitly will replace the smaller sensor cameras, but not the DSRL in a short term. The trend is that people want to get better cameras. I myself started with digital with small sensor cameras in 2004: Canon Powershot G6 and then other ones of Canon, Nikon, Panasonic. Later I moved to a bigger sensor with Panasonic Lumix GF1 (great photos in a trip to Europe), and in paralel I was stilll shooting with film.With the small sensor cameras, it was great digital learning (together with the computer process) to finally move to Digital DSLR (DX and FX) in 2011. I published in 2009 a photograph book about Patagonia with mostly pictures from small sensor cameras, and a few slides with F3T, and the book came out in a very fine quality with great CMYK photos published.<br /> And since the mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses have come out with bigger sensor such as Olympus, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Sony and others, many people will change to this kind of cameras systems. I also have a DSLR system, but I think it is a very good idea to also have one of the latest big sensor mirrorless cameras for profesional work for street photography (you cannot walk all the time with a DSLR system), travel and also professional work when you do not want the hassle to take all the weight of a DSLR system with you. Personally I studied the Olympus and the Fujifilm system, and the perfect camera could be the future Fujifilm X-T2. 16 megapixel is enough for book project.</p>