What Are Your Thoughts on This Image?

mark_harrington1

<p>I am by no means anywhere close to a professional, especially when it comes to shooting/posing people, but I hope you can value my opinion even as a casual observer.</p>

<p>1. I too do not care for the "painterly" kind of effect here. I believe it makes the trees and rocks look unsharp and out of focus.</p>

<p>2. I like your "tighter crop" better.</p>

<p>3. It may not have been possible with that dress, but I think this composure is begging for a dress with a longish train that could sweep down from left to right and maybe splay out a little bit on the rock in front of them so that it mimics the waterfall.</p>

<p>4. Time constraints ignored, I think two exposures would have been fun - a fast exposure with the B&G in the frame and a long exposure without them to silken the water, then combine in post.</p>

Mark, I hope I didn't upset you about the ladder or something. You sounded angry, so lets think about this.

I remember talking with an old friend and and old friend of this wedding forum, Nadine. She was around 5'3".

She too brought a ladder with her at every job. From shooting weddings since 1988 or so, I surely understand

that 45 minute, or less crunch time you are referring to. It's surely a concern even for the well seasoned,

experienced flashers. As for the ladder, you don't have to carry a 30 footer. Adding just 3 to 5 feet, often just a

3 or 4 step, step stool will do the trick.

For example if a couple or just the bride, or the entire wedding party, is standing on the top stairs in a

church/temple, wherever, a step stool is just about the right height for me. It's also great if they are on the top

level and she has a long train wrapped down the other steps. Perhaps 3 to 5 steps. It's such a classical feel of

traditional elegance. Sure, you can throw the train behind her and use her body to block out the train.

A ladder is a must in my opinion at Jewish reception events. Unless you are 6'5". You can surely do this

introduction dance without a ladder, but lets face it, a ladder can be loads of fun. Mainly during the

introduction dance at the reception, when the DJ welcomes the bride and groom. When they lift the bride, the

groom, the parents, others, up on the chairs. What a lot of fun it is to be up high, shooting down at the group,

being eye level to the bride when she's first lifted in the chair. The scared looks are pretty dang funny! This is

also one of the times when I like throwing on my fish eye lens for 3 or 4 shots. I've also used the 70-200.

As for lugging the ladder around it's not that hard. In fact a lot of times people ask if they can help. Once you

set the ladder into position, takes about 30 seconds most of the time, you can leave it in that position. My 6

step ladder only weighs a few pounds. Easy to manage with one hand.

Here's a tip - I have a strap hooked from the bottom step to just below the top step. It's kind of somewhat

perfectly balanced. You throw it over your shoulder.

<p>Bob, I have no issue with your suggestion to use a ladder, I often carry a small step ladder with me along with a collapsable wagon for my gear. This image was taken at a golf course and it was quite a walk from the clubhouse, not making excuses, but it really was a last minute must have request and we were out of time. <br>

Best regards, my issues were not yours.</p>

<p>Hi Mark I personally like the image and the crop. I am not so keen about shooting up on people but hey you did this on the fly on the job with all the stress that comes with shooting weddings.<br>

I enjoy taking environmental pictures that show grandure. I do agree the rocks on the right seem very sharp more so than the couple. A lot has to due with the texture of the rocks and how the light hits it. You can always soften up a bit in photo shop. You can also due some more photoshop enhancements and burning of areas. What you did in camera was very nice and I am sure the couple were very happy with the shot. I am sure if you were going to do a picture that you knew you were going to be judged on you may have done some things different and I am sure you know all the technical things to do and have experience doing it. What exactly are you looking to hear from this post? I personally would not post a picture that I did not have complete control over then ask for a critique. I would be on the firing wall just like you are now. Now, unless I had a question or did not understand something about what I did or wanted to improve it then that would be different. In a wedding senario we all know the limitations that come with on the fly shooting without the comforts of a studio environment. Again nice shot considering the circumstances!</p>

To be clear, my reason for posting the image - which I fully acknowldege and intentionally selected - was to post an image

where photographers of all skill levels could find something in the image to relate to from their own shoots. I chose this

image because it had many good qualities and some areas that were not ideal (perspective, negative space and crop for

example). But the image also has some good elements and is typical of many wedding scenes. I wanted this image to be

discussed and used as a tool to help emerging photographers see what the more experienced photographers see as

good points and bad points about the image. This is the way that I'm used to critiquing and recieving feedback. Every

image has good and bad in them, even sealed images. A one or two sentance critque is not only unfair to the image

maker, it offers no opportunity for others to learn from. Editorial comments like an image isn't professional is not only

discouraging to others who may not do work at this level but insulting.

I have the knowledge to find good and bad points in virtually any image a person may choose to post, but I always find

something positive to comment on, or at least offer some suggestions for making the next image more effective.

Through all of this I was just trying to breathe some life into this forum and to open a constructive conversation in hopes

of encouraging others to join in. Image critiques can be hard on the ego, which is more than acceptable so long as the

critiques do not come across without reasoning or explanation.

I make a challenge to those who feel my images are not professional to post an image from their last wedding. I will use

all of my knowledge and experience to offer a professional critique. I promise to back it up with well documented

professional standards (i.e. Compliance with acceptable skin tone ranges, appropriate focal length of lens, appropriate

lighting for the subjects, proper light patterns and a few other technical and artistic evaluations). This would not only help

others understand the skill level of the submitter but it will also increase the activity level of this forum. In an open forum

like this, there is no way to know ther validity of a crtiquer's comments. Anyone can state a level of expertise and perhaps

they have it but how do others know? Lack of images in a person's portfolio speaks volumes. I have and will provide the

credentials to make qualified critiques so there is no doubt to the basis of my observations.

After seeing more than one thread lamenting the demise of this forum I wanted to help bring some activity back so that

others can get involved as well, its that simple. I haven't been active in this forum for years but I cared enough to put

myself out there, now its time for the regulars to contribute as well.