1:1 aspect ratio in firmware...

<p>Hi all...<br>

Many 35mm DSLR's and mirrorless cameras offer settings that let you choose the aspect ratio of the image… such as 3:2, 4:3, 16:9. A very few offer a square 1:1 setting, like my Ricoh GXR (w/ Leica M mount). Suffice to say, I like visualizing in square, in camera. So the camera I am looking for is more or less 24MP, full frame, interchangeable lens, mirrorless, has 1:1 frame setting and has a hot shoe attachable EVF that rotates up for 'waste level' style viewing. My Ricoh is a great camera and satisfies almost all of those criteria, but it is only 12MP on an APS-C sized sensor and I'm looking for more robust files for greater print enlargement.</p>

<p>If all of those criteria do not exist within a single camera, perhaps altering the firmware of an existing mirrorless camera in order to include a 1:1 setting is a possibility. It seems a reasonable modification. Are there 'freelancers' out there that are doing this and can design a specific modification like that to a camera's firmware?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Specifications show the Sony A7 models offer various grid screen assists in the viewfinder/LCD. Next best thing to an optional 1:1 aspect ratio.</p>

<p>While I like the option of a 1:1 aspect ratio in the Ricoh GRD4 I don't like being locked into it - even the raw file is 1:1. One nifty feature in the Fuji X-series is that at least some models offer a 1:1 square view, but the raw file (RAF) actually captures the full 3:2 aspect ratio. So if the in-camera 1:1 JPEG isn't quite right, you still have the full 3:2 raw file to work from. I'd also like an option for in-camera raw processing and cropping for 1:1, because the Fuji in-camera raw converter is excellent and often much quicker than post processing in Lightroom.</p>

<p>[[if all of those criteria do not exist within a single camera, perhaps altering the firmware of an existing mirrorless camera in order to include a 1:1 setting is a possibility.]]</p>

<p>I recommend gaffers tape and a couple of strips of crafting foam. Make your own flip-down 1:1 window over the LCD. :) </p>

<p>EOS M and EOS 70D (in live view mode) show a square screen when an aspect ratio of 1:1 is selected. I assume that more (most? all?) mirrorless cameras offer this option.<br>

Are you serious about firmware modifications? Just check the Magic Lantern website (+ forums) to get an idea about the work involved. </p>

<p>The EOS-M3 meets all of your criteria, except it's APS-C. I believe that most or all Micro 4/3 and Fuji X-System cameras will shoot 1:1. Panasonic has a Micro 4/3 camera with a viewfinder that will rotate up. But again, they aren't full frame. Sony makes several full-frame mirrorless cameras, but they don't shoot 1:1 and the built-in EVF won't rotate up. Some of Sony's fixed lens cameras shoot 1:1, so if that will work you might look at their full frame fixed lens camera. I don't know if any of Leica's digital cameras will shoot 1:1, but they are in another whole price range anyway. If the camera you want existed, I would be pretty interested in it too. </p>

<p>Geoff… Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of the M3 from Canon, since it's not available in the US. I've expanded my search to include APS-C… the sensors are getting so good and dense that I would seriously consider it. I also like the clip on EVF. Does the M3 sensor include micro lenses to direct edge light rays toward the sensor. I plan on using a Leica M lens with this camera if I were to get one from Europe/Japan. I understand it does have an AA filter on the sensor</p>