Nikkor-Q 135mm f2.8 Camera Lens Ai'd Mount Nikon Ai Factory Converted

joel_b.1

<p>I've tried to find this information via Google, I promise, but I got confused trying to get a clear answer. I'm looking at a "Nikkor-Q 135mm f2.8 Camera Lens Ai'd Mount Nikon Ai Factory Converted" on Fleabay but I want to be sure: will this work on a contemporary DSLR (D800)? Thanks for your help. </p>

<p>A "factory" AI job was actually done by Nikon's service centers, which in the U.S. was EPOI (predecessor of NikonUSA). An AI CONVERSION involves changing the aperture ring. An AI MODIFICATION means the old aperture ring has been cut back. Some of these "chop jobs" are done better than others but typically they all work. A Nikon-converted lens looks better, though, so generally sells for a little more.</p>

<p>I've home converted a couple of lenses, and it does work fine if you do it carefully, but on the proper AI ring the meter claw is mounted in reverse of the original, with the base forward instead of back, and of course it has the second set of numbers properly printed. A home conversion cuts into the base of the original claw right up to the mounting screws, and is never quite as nice looking as the replacement ring even if it's neatly done, though it's less obvious if you don't need to leave the claw on. </p>