DSLR Newbie

brian_gerber

<p>I'm wanting to buy a DSLR camera I was looking at used Camera's just because I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it and on a limited budget.. </p>

<p>I have looked at Nikon D3000 Which doesn't have Movie option... <br>

<br />and a Cannon Rebel EOS digital rebel.. this one comes with extra lens both around $250-$275 </p>

<p>Are either of these decent Camera's does anyone have any other suggestions</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Brian<br>

I have a Nikon D3200 that I really like, and it will be able to just about anything you want to do as a beginner including decent video. <br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856049-REG/Nikon_25492_D3200_DSLR_Camera_With.html<br>

It may be more than you want to pay but you should consider it. You should shop around and maybe you can find it somewhere cheeper</p><div>00cyiy-552807384.jpg.7112f19174dc461dfc26ee6b7f00d43b.jpg</div>

<p>Pretty much any digital camera that has over 8 Megapixels images (in a pinch even over 6MP) will actually do very well.<br /> There are a number of different Canon Digital Rebels, however, so it's hard to say whether it's a good deal without knowing which specific model and what lenses are included.</p>

<p>A good camera body would be a Digital Rebel XTi (10 MP). A silver one with a usable 18-55mm kit lens (the old one without the image stabilization) sold recently on eBay for $130US.<br /> A black one "like new" without a lens sold for $190, so that gives you an idea.</p>

<p>Lenses are often more -- except for the present and past "kit lenses" - since they will commonly work on other and more expensive bodies, and are more desired, hence pricier -- this goes for both Nikon and Canon.</p>

<p>Another thing to consider for yourself: does it really have to be a DSLR?<br>

There are some terrific bridge cameras, or the high end compact cameras (which you can also find second hand) can work very well too - 2nd hand for a lot less money, and less bulk. I'll admit it takes a bit more readin up to find which models are the really desirable ones, but you might find something more recent at a lower price, and all of them do video. Most mirrorless cameras with exchangeable lenses are still more expensive second hand (as they tend to be newer), but also there you can find cameras that are very worth considering (and they also all have video) - cameras as Sony Nex, Olympus Pen and such.</p>

<p>There's nothing particularly wrong with the models you mention. I will suggest that the imaging sensors on the models slightly newer than the D3000 are a bit better for lower light (high ISO settings). The models (whether Nikon, Pentax, etc.) with 12 or 16 megapixels were generally improved in this regard vs. the 6-10-megapixel sensors. Note that I don't consider the megapixel count difference to be particularly important, but the somewhat improved dynamic range and high-ISO performance are nice to have.<br>

<br />Others have already mentioned the more common Canon and Nikons, a few Pentax models to consider (oldest-to-newest):<br>

The K-m or K2000 are probably the Pentax models closest to the Nikon D3000.<br>

12mp, single e-dial, pentamirror viewfinder</p>

<ul>

<li>K-x</li>

<li>K-r</li>

</ul>

<p>newer 16mp, dual e-dial with bigger/brighter pentaprism viewfinder. The K30 and K50 are weather-sealed.</p>

<ul>

<li>K30</li>

<li>K500</li>

<li>K50</li>

</ul>

<p>Video in general, as well as live-view autofocus are areas that were just appearing in the marketplace during the early part of this period so are generally markedly improved in later models.<br>

If video is important, I think it's also worth considering a mirrorless model; I think you'd find the micro 4/3 models <strong>Panasonic Lumix G3 or G5</strong> well suited to general-purpose entry-level duty for stills or video, they're a bit more compact than APS-C DSLRs with optical viewfinders, and include pretty good electronic viewfinders that can be used even while shooting video. Their slightly smaller 16mp sensors seem fairly competitive with the Sony-made 12mp sensors in Nikon or Pentax bodies though not quite as good as the 16mp sensors in the newer Pentax/Nikon/Sony bodies. AF is pretty good and they also feature optional touch screen controls and variable-position rear LCD.</p>

<p>If you go with Nikon, I'd skip the D3000 and go with the D3100 which was much improved. By this time both models should be pretty inexpensive. Either way you'll almost certainly be buying used so make sure you get a lens, lens cap, and charger as part of the package. The D3200 is even better but will cost significantly more. It can be obtained new or used at this time.</p>

<p>As others have pointed out there are a number of other choices out there including non-DSLRs.</p>