Bronica SQ-Ai accessory help

charles_peace

<p>Hello Again!<br>

As I mentioned in my previous thread I recently purchased a Bronica SQ-Ai off Ebay. I'm very excited to shoot square format. I'm curious into some of the accessories though. Like I'm not familiar with the lens lengths and how they relate to the camera. For example it came with a 67mm, which seems like it shoots fairly wide. Is there another lens that's more of a 1:1 ratio? I'm also curious about the waist level view finder. Is there such a thing as a metered waist level view finder? If not, is there a suggestion of a great off camera meter to use? I love the idea of that waist level finder and physically taking the time to set the camera instead of the spontaneous shooting of a metered prism. Any help? </p>

I have an SQ-A.

80mm is like your 50mm standard lens on a 35mm camera, so a 67 is just a slight wide angle.

I don't know of a metered WLF, you could pick up the ubiquitous Gossen LunaPro (requires adapters to use SR44 cells, but a great meter nonetheless), or just download a meter app for your smartphone to get started.

<p>67mm is the filter size; you're referring to the 65mm wide-angle, which is equal to a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera. A good choice for close-ups is the 110mm, which is available as an f/4 or a closer focusing (and more expensive) f/4.5. The MF Finder S is a waist level viewfinder with metering. Tamron offers several useful documents on the Bronica systems:<br>

https://www.tamron.co.jp/en/data/bronica/bronica2.html</p>

<p><strong>Peter: </strong>Thank you for responding to my question. I was starting to think that a metered WLF was probably a mystical item. When I got the camera visions flew in my head of all the new collecting I could do with backs, lenses, and finders. It sounds like if I'm really serious about taking time and doing the WLF, my first investment for the camera will be in a good hand held light meter. Thanks again for suggesting one. I definitely want something I can point and get a meter read from for sure. It also sounds like from what you're saying 80mm is my neutral point or "1:1". So anything less than that is wide, and anything bigger than that is narrow into telephoto. Maybe an 80mm is a good next step?<br>

<strong>Jon </strong>and <strong>Dave:</strong> Also thanks for responding. I'm not sure of the exact size of the lens at the moment because sadly I'm taking a break at work :-(. But I know it was 60 something. And I know it looks slightly wide. For the most part I want to shoot outdoor shots, like landscapes. I don't think I'll be quick enough on the draw for things like birds with this camera but I would like to photograph trees and locations and things. Everything from closer up ice on a branch to further away "look at this cool bog" type shots. Very rarely will I shoot a portrait and when I do it's likely to be outside. When you say close ups what's the general idea? Like a headshot of someone 4' away? Just trying to get an idea in my head of the setup/result. </p>

If you want to shoot handheld, invest in a speed grip. It turns the boxy Bronica into a whole different camera! And when you take the crank off to fit the speed grip, remember where you put it!

The iPhone light meter apps are pretty good. You can calibrate them with an SLR. It will certainly do you until you find a good lunapro.

<p>Charles-</p>

<p>Just for the sake of comparison, in your other posting you made mention of owning a Mamiya 645 Pro for a while. The horizontal lens coverage for the Mamiya will be the same as the Bronica, they're both 6cm in at least one dimension.</p>

<p>So, whatever "feel" your Mamiya lenses gave you, the same focal length will behave the same on the Bronica (just with more vertical coverage, i.e. 6cm frame on the Bronica compared to 4.5cm on the Mamiya).</p>

<p>Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Jim M</p>

<p>I agree about the speed grip, it makes the camera much easier to handle and far quicker to use. Metered prism finders are not that expensive these days and, when combined with the speed grip, transform the whole thing into a much more useable camera with auto-exposure.</p>

<p>A word of warning... the SQ-A, even though it's old, is a very complex mechanical camera. It will take you a while to get used to all the fiddling required to be able to expose each frame correctly. An instruction manual is essential. The film backs are the weak point and often develop faults. However, the lenses are excellent and your photographs can easily equal the output of a Hasselblad V.</p>

<p>Charles, just spotted your post about the SQAi which I've used for many years. As has been already stated, the 80mm is about the same as the 50mm on 35mm format when comparing horizontal angles of view.<br>

The 50mm lens is about the same as a 35mm on 35mm format, the 40mm lens about the equavalent of a 26mm lens. I don't own a 65mm lens, so cannot comment. You mention a lens with a 1:1 ratio - I'm assuming you mean a macro lens, and if so, there is a 110mm lens which focuses down to 1:1 or life size. Bit of a rare beast nowadays though. There is no waist level finder with built in metering, but there is (or was) a cds focussing hood with built in metering which is the nearest thing to a waist level finder. I would advise you to use a hand held meter (I use an old Weston Master) - there are so many on the market, it's difficult to recommend one particular model.<br>

As has already been stated, there is no meaningful difference between the Zenzanon lenses and their Zeiss equivalents - both are excellent.</p>