Hasselblad 500 C/M viewfinder vignetting

lichtsinnig

<p>Hello dear community,<br>

<br />Has anyone firsthand experience with a non gliding mirror hasselblad 500 series camera and the cf 100mm lens. Im wondering if there will be vignetting in the viewfinder with this focal length? If yes how strong?<br>

Thanks for your answers!</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Silvio<br>

</p>

<p>Vignetting has something to do with the size of the exit pupil of the lens. The CF100 does not vignette, and is minor with a CF150, however a CF120 Makro vignettes significantly, as does a CF180. Even an 80mm lens will vignette if used with a 16 mm (or longer) extension tube for closeups. The CF150 is a short lens with a negative rear element, which moves the rear node forward. Taken to extremes, the rear node in a true telephoto lens is in front of the first element.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Edward I have a question for you.<br />I noticed it more with different screens, seemed to be more pronounced with the older Fiber optic Hasselblad screen.<br />I noticed it less with the newer accumate screen.<br />Could this also be true?<br /><br />The funny thing is I never really noticed it until Hasselblad addressed the problem.<br />As most older cameras had similar symptoms. </p>

<p>The edge of the cutoff is sharp enough to be mistaken for the frame mask. I didn't notice either until I read about it somewhere.</p>

<p>The screen probably has an effect on how you perceive the cutoff. The original screens in the 500cm are frosted more heavily than Acute-Matte screens. The latter are much brighter but don't establish the focusing plane as well. A fiber optic screen would be bright but highly directional. I suspect the cutoff would be very sharp in such a screen. However cutoff occurs because the mirror is too short to intercept entire image projected from the lens. The gliding lens (GLS) is long enough so cutoff doesn't occur. The mirror moves on a linkage so that it retracts to clear the lens and mount as it ascends.</p>

<p><em>In my opinion vignetting is an absolute non-issue.</em><br>

<br /> Well surely that depends on how critical your composition is at the top of the frame.<br>

For portraits I would imagine it's not too critical, but with something like landscapes it can be very annoying to find you've included something in the frame which you didn't see because of the vignetting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are two types of vignetting. Vignetting in the viewfinder can be caused by a long lens with a short mirror like a 500C does with the 250mm lens (top of the screen is dark). The image on the FILM is fine. Just a nussiance but no harm to the image.</p>

<p>The other type of vignetting in the viewfinder is when the lens shade is to long for the lens and the corners are dark in the viewfinder and on the film.</p>

<p>Sometimes the viewfinder corners look ok but when you get the film back the corners are dark. This can happen when you use a lens shade that is too long and you are stopped down very small (f/16-f/32 or so) and are focused to infinity. Wide open the lens doesn't vignette but stopped down it can.</p>