How do I achieve this trendy look?

gy_mo

<p>Hello, I have noticed that this kind of low contrast look is very trendy lately both in photography and video. When not overdone, like in this case, it looks realy good IMO. So I wonder how do I achieve this look? Is it simple matter of bumping up blacks into the greys or is it something more? Thanks!<br>

https://imageshack.com/a/7ncz/1</p>

<p><b>Mod: Either you can answer the question or not post. Posts that are not answering or extending the question will be deleted.</b></p>

<p>Gy, I can't tell you the formula but I can give you my opinion. I'm guessing these shots have been processed with a software program like Perfect Picture Pro where dozens of filters and presets are just 'a click away'. They definitely have a vignette filter applied. The various presets have, of course, been written by a talented post processing practitioner so could also be achieved via Photoshop but few would have the time or patience to learn the skills required so programs with 'presets' are now available.</p>

<p>To me they look like they were simply shot at dusk when the sun was down and the light is less saturated. I don't think any special "preset" was needed. Like Gup noted, some vignetting was applied, which is easy to do in ps. Looking through my folders I spotted a shot taken at a similar time of day. I added some vignette with ps.</p><div>00cw0o-552283784.jpg.fca2fe29dafdcae0404af8ae319dc6ed.jpg</div>

<p>Gy, I'm not sure what you mean by low contrast. Here are the elements that stand out for me in the photos you have linked to:</p>

<p>1.) Shallow DOF or selective focus -- To my eye, this is the dominant feature of this "look". I could be wrong, but I suspect that it was achieved as much, or more, by using post-processing software as by using a wide open lens. (If you look at the tires in some of the shots, they appear sharply defined, while the asphalt -- which should theoretically be roughly on the same plane of focus -- appears OOF. And far more than it should be if it was a drop off actually achieved through lens alone. I see similar evidence of software-created selective focus in some of the interior shots.)</p>

<p>2.) Vignetting -- As Gup already noted, vignetting is a large part of these photos.</p>

<p>3.) Slight desaturation -- There seems to be a very slight desaturation of color in these photos, possibly different levels of desaturation for different colors.</p>

<p>4.) Warm colors and a bleak sunset -- For these particular images, I think the warm colors and the natural light and time of day lends a lot to the atmosphere and "feel" of these photos.</p>

<p>Just my opinion, but it is primarily the elements listed above, working together, that give the photos the "trendy" look you describe. Selective focus and faux tilt-shift has been very trendy in advertising (still photos and video) for a number of years now.</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with Perfect Picture Pro, but there are various types of selective focus and faux tilt shift effects available in the Nik Software suite of post-processing programs (plug-ins that work in conjunction with both Photoshop and Lightroom) - In particular, Color Efex Pro, and Analog Pro. Vignetting, desaturation, and warming can be achieved with most photo editing software.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Those photos are similar to cleanly scanned film prior to additional contrast being added. Similarly, "ungraded" video or cinema files have this look.<br>

Normally this look is considered a bit flat. One would apply a gentle s-curve to the contrast, and in the levels nudge the black point and white point closer in. This yields a more "normal" rendering.<br>

But the look of ungraded files can be quite appealing -- not what is normally expected, but appealing. I would not be surprised to find people shooting and/or processing specifically to achieve that look.</p>

<p>In the car shots, I believe the car was selected, the selection was inverted and the background and foreground were then treated in ps to get your look.. a little de-saturation, a little blur, maybe brightness contrast down a tad, a little warming, whatever. Deselect and a little vignette and Bob's your uncle.<br>

I think the liquor ad shot was mostly done with studio lighting.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Posts that are not answering or extending the question will be deleted.</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p> At the risk of being deleted but, asked for sake of clarity, what does "extending the question" mean? Are we not allowed to ask for more details, inquire or raise additional issues related to the question, offer corrections or other comments to relevant responses? Does it just mean irrelevant comments?<br>

<strong> </strong><br>

<strong> </strong></p>

<p>That's a reasonable question John. What prompted the moderator comment above was a post that railed at the idea of actually doing this in the way Gup suggests because it "wasn't photography." It was unpleasant and the type of post that should never be a response to new users if we want them to enjoy the site. </p>

<p>For the record, questions about more details, additional related issues, corrections or comments to responses are fine. What are not acceptable responses are those that a) say this isn't photography if it's done a certain way (which the deleted one did,) b) say the look is ugly, c) etc. If people don't want to answer the question, ask related questions, or make related comments, they can post their thoughts about it on Facebook, flickr, 500px, or anywhere else they want. Just not here. This is intended to be helpful and attract new users, not drive them away.</p>

<p>I think the lighting in the picture of the two men with the trumpet on the table is totally different than the car pictures, and probably not shot at dusk. The car pictures appear to be shot in flat light maybe around dusk or at least on a cloudy day. The trumpet picture has a clear shaft of hard light coming in at a high angle. The light looks like direct sunlight and its angle indicates maybe mid morning or mid afternoon but probably not dusk. And that's assuming it's shot by natural light, not studio lighting set up to look natural.</p>

<p>The photo of the two guys at a table with booze, smoke and a horn looks like the product of cinema color grading and a few other tweaks. It shows up on a lot of Lithuanian Facebook pages. You might ask the other folks who've posted it where they found that photo. It might lead you to some tips for getting the look. But it's visually similar to the color grading used in US TV shows like "Fringe", "Person of Interest" and many other TV shows and movies in the contemporary thriller/noir genre.</p>

<p>I actually do have Lithuanian friends, include one who emigrated as a teenager and is still going strong into her 90s (she still bowls, while I'm too wimpy to lift anything heavier than a Nerf ball). But in this case only my Google-fu is impressive. I just dragon-dropped that photo into a Google image search box and it turned up several Lithuanian Facebook pages. I presume the photo is by a popular Lithuanian photographer or filmmaker - it looks like a movie still, or cinematic fashion photo.</p>

<p>Lex, you are actually right. The photo of the two men is by a Lithuanian photographer (https://www.facebook.com/liukaULA) and the men in the picture are members of well known local band Golden Parazyth all of whom I happen to know personally :) It was shot as an ad for their upcoming tour. ALthough I don't know the details of the shoot.<br>

Her portfolio is full of similarly styled photos which I like very much. </p>