Does anyone make a digital back for 35mm cameras?

tom l

I have seen a lot of information about digital backs for medium

format cameras but virtually nothing about them for 35mm cameras.

Does anyone make such a thing?

I currently shoot both 35mm & 645 but only film. I'd like to make

the move to digital but my 645 equipment is old enough that it does

not support most digital backs and the only one I've found that does

support my camera (Megavision S3 pro) is expensive and tethered

(unless you by the $3000 batpac).

As an alternative, I wondered if a 35mm digital back was more

economical than the medium format backs and possibly work with my

existing 35mm equipment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

This comes up all the time here, and there has been a firm promising vaporous offerings for years. The Photo.net consensus has been that such an idea, while sounding great, makes little economic sense and is impractical.

There are too many back designs out there, you'd have to build a few models that only fit a few cameras, you'd need to cram a lot of stuff into a pretty tiny enclosure unless you had a huge tethered box and so on.

I'd love to be able to use my lenes on the latest Canon. Unfortunately they too are old (FD) and I understand will not fit. That was why the interest in looking for a 35mm digital back to see if it'd work with my old A-1 camera and thereby let me keep my existing equipment.

SF has been discussed about a zillion times on photonet, it is not just vaporware, it is an investment scam!

Even their original claims (4 or so years ago!) were to support the latest high-end electronic based cameras only such as an Eos 1v or F5. So forget an FD canon, too bad, I'd love to put a digi back on my old F2 or Leica!

<P>First let me join the chorus of voices denouncing Silicon Film. There, that's out of the way.</P> In a more general way, Tom, there's a lot of us poor photographers out there with old equipment, wishing we could upgrade it in a modular fashion to the latest technology while retaining the virtues of our old lenses etc. The camera makers know we are there and they are determined we shall not succeed. Their business is built to a large degree on the obsolescence of their product. It looks like if you wanna do digital you gonna have to spend big money.</P>

• 3 years later...
I've been looking for my Nikon FE, but it seems there is a lack of interest in the manufactureres of digital backs. It seems to be such a waste, to discard or shelve older equipment for new. But this is the kind of world we live in.

• 2 years later...
<p>Hi folks: I am also among those poor photographers who has love for old machines like Nikon F4, FM2N FM, F90, EOS1N, Pentax LX, screw mount bodies and looking for digital back since long. IMHO if Leica can make a back for R8 & 9 then any third party can manufacture back of leading old workhorses. I picked EOS 300D with different adapters but no build like F4 or EOS1N.</p>