Recommendations wanted for Midwest U.S. winter field trips?

Christal1664882414

<p>I made another post asking about where to find bald eagles in the Midwest. Alternatively, I'd be open to any suggestions for photographic places to visit in winter in the Midwest.....just about a 1-day drive from Indianapolis. We just need a little get-away, and I'd like to get some good winter shots while we're gone.</p>

<p>New Harmony, Indiana is a good place if you like history<br>

Other historic places in southern Indiana include<br>

Corydon - early capital<br>

Spring Mill State Park<br>

French Lick and Baden - old resort communities.</p>

<p> </p><div>00d1xq-553553684.jpg.b08edd2e6bae4784695c5c80ada9b070.jpg</div>

<p>There's a spot along the Mississippi River just south of Galena, IL (Rock Island) which is frequented by eagle spotters http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Missions/Recreation/MississippiRiverProject/Education/EagleWatching.aspx. A bit of a trip from Indy, though. Further south are spots as well....here's a link to 2015 events http://www.greatriverroad.com/eagles/eagleevents.htm . Starved rock is much closer to you http://www.starvedrockstatepark.org/activity/eagle-watching/.</p>

<p>JDM.... I didn't mention this, but ideally I'd like to go someplace where there is a likelihood of snow and/or ice (for photography). Otherwise things can look rather bland in Indiana in the winter. :-) We've been to Spring Mill and French Lick recently. Had forgotten about New Harmony......haven't been there in years. A possibility for sure. Thanks for your suggestions.....sounds like you know Indiana pretty well!</p>

<p>Edward.....Through our local DNR, they offer a holiday package that includes a state park pass, lodging at a state park inn and a subscription to our Outdoor Indiana magazine. We bought that and are scheduled to go to Turkey Run for 2 days in a few weeks. Yes, you're right.....it's a great place, but last time we were there parts were inaccessible because of the ice. I think we'll check in to buying cleats. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Stephen.....thanks so much for the links. I did do a search online for eagle viewing spots, but there were a lot of them, and I thought I'd cut to the chase a little bit by asking around here on Photo.net first. We've heard about the eagles at Starved Rock, so we stopped to visit that park on the way home from out west this summer. It appears that the eagles are pretty far away there....over on an island.....perhaps not as accessible as other places. Not sure. Have you been there by any chance? I'll check out your links.....thanks so much!</p>

<p>New Harmony and the area can be very nice when it snows, but it's best if you can figure out someway to get there <em>before</em> it snows. ;)<br>

Of course, you'll have better luck with snow and ice by heading north into some location where there is lake effect snow as a pretty predictable event.</p><div>00d1yv-553557784.jpg.602e5e925bc6e2760e65939ded4a3541.jpg</div>

<p>Christal - I've been to Starved Rock a number of times, but not for eagle viewing, and only once in the snow for some cross country skiing. Most of the Chicago area folks go over to Rock Island...last time I was there things were far enough away that it seemed like 400mm lenses were the bare minimum to shoot any action...actually I think timing is everything to get the really close, good shots. Good luck in whatever you choose.</p>

<p>note: I just noticed I posted all this in the wrong thread of yours...sorry...should be in the eagles thread.</p>