nikon sb800 with F5

allen_ying

<p>hi,<br />with my F100, and D3, a nikon sb800 will detect the iso and f stop, and tell me how many feet the flash will reach, either in ttl, or manual output mode.<br>

with the F5, the sb800 doesn't do this...<br>

is there something i'm missing?<br>

thanks,</p>

<p>The F5 is DX compatible isn't it? - not the digital format but the auto ISO detection system of "barcodes" on a film cassette. I think if you have DX code detection enabled on the camera, but no DX cassette in the camera, then the above symptom will probably present itself.</p>

<p>Also an empty camera or one not wound to frame 1 will give the same result I believe.</p>

<p>Incidentally, the maximum distance displayed is based on the optimistic Guide Number given by Nikon for the flash. Like all makers' GNs it's going to be overrated by one whole stop, and you should take the maximum distance figure with a large pinch of salt; or divide it by a factor of 1.4.</p>

<p>>>with my F100, and D3, a nikon sb800 will detect the iso and f stop, and tell me how many feet the flash will reach, either in ttl, or manual output mode.<br /> with the F5, the sb800 doesn't do this...</p>

<p>The SB-800 is backwards compatible with film TTL, or with D-TTL or iTTL digital. It can do whatever any Nikon camera can do. Only the SB-600 can also do this.</p>

<p>But the F5 is not CLS compatible. CLS is the later Nikon communication between camera and flash. So the CLS flash cannot see the F5 aperture, ISO, zoom, etc. But it can do TTL or Manual flash with the F5. It works fine, it just cannot see these camera values.</p>

• 4 weeks later...