Slave Flash Efficiency

sami_palta1

<p>Have a 580 EXII and happy with it.<br>

Bought 2 additional Yongnuo flashes to use as slave flsahes.<br>

I was never satisfied with them. They drained battery too fast. Sometimes didn't flash, etc.</p>

<p>It seems an expensive solution to use Canon 580 as slave flash.<br>

What can be an efficient solution for slave flash ?</p>

<p>I guess it depends on how you use them. It sounds as if they are being triggered at full power. Are you simply using their optical trigger at full output?</p>

<p>If this is the case, it would explain both problems. a) it'll drain the batteries as quickly as possible, because you are fully discharging the flash capacitor with each discharge, and b) the flash won't fire if the capacitor isn't charged enough to fully power a 'Full discharge' (ie. if you shoot more than one exposure every 2.5-3 or more seconds (depending on the discharge level of the batteries)). To me, this <em>sounds</em> like operator error.</p>

<p>Of course a Yongnuo flash isn't necessarily going to be compatible with Canon's ETTL IR Slave/master system. So while getting any EX compatible (Canon) slave (420, 430, 550, 580) will work, you can also get a more reliable radio system (other than the 600EX-RT which is still pretty expensive, plus you'll need slaves - also pricey) which uses a transciever and triggers to discharge the slaves at appropriate levels. </p>