Summicron hood un-clips easily

bjarni_m.

<p>Just bought a Summicron 35 mm ASPH, which i'm very happy with - it's razor sharp, contrasty and almost free of distortion and well built. Overall 9/10 in my opinion.</p>

<p>One thing i'm wondering about which i think is also pretty annoying is how easily the original lens hood 12526 falls off the lens.<br /><br />If i have my camera hanging around my neck and my arm barely touches the hood it un-clips and falls off the lens. I don't want to keep a spare hood in my bag for more than 100 USD, just because the original hood un-clips so easily</p>

<p>How normal is this for the Summicron 35 mm ASPH, that the 12526 hood un-clips so easily?</p>

<p>I've had my 35mm ASPH 'cron for five years and the hood has never come off accidentally. There are pinch-fit tabs (spring-loaded, I think) which hold it in place. It should not fall off, in my experience. The rubber lens cover is another story though ... I order spares when I lose mine.</p>

<p>Forgot to mention. The one thing i'm most concerned about is the hood detaching from the lens while in my camera bag and the hood scratching the glas/optics since it seems that there is some kind of metal in the spring mechanism of the hood.</p>

<p>This may be obvious, but I thought that I should mention it. There is a projection on the lens hood that fits into a recess on the top center of the front of the lens. If the lens hood projection doesn't fit in there, the hood will not move down enough to hold securely on the little circumferential channel on the lens that the hood's little clamps grip into. I've found that when properly mounted, the hood will NEVER fall off on its own.</p>

<p> Being Leica, the tolerances are extremely fine, and it takes a while to make sure that the hood is really in that lens recess.</p>

<p>Rock solid on mine. You should be able to see and feel the 4 little metal clips on the inner circumference of the hood when it's off the lens, and you should feel significant resistance from the spring when you push one in with your fingernail. They should retract when you push the pinch buttons, and engage with the groove on the lens when you release them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"there are markers indicating this as well, both on the hood and the lens" <strong><em>Bjarni M.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, and these male/females are at 12 O'clock and 6 O'clock. <br>

If there's an <strong>obstructed</strong> seating (not pushing all the way on), then the retractable internal metal tabs of the hood, <br>

won't drop into their groves on the front lens tube... <em><br /></em></p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I was afraid i should live without my lens for several weeks - if it was necessary for me to send the lens to a service check in Germany - but since it's brand new, Leica Germany sent me a new hood free of charge, which solved the problem.</p>

<p>It's not sitting as tight as a screw in hood (which i wasn't expecting either) but the new hood is sitting much tighter and firmly on the lens than the supplied hood which came with the lens.</p>

<p>Thumbs up for good customer service, Leica!</p>