Do you use a Sony HVL-F20M small flash?

peter_cohen

<p>After the rude reply you got in the Sony/Minolta forum Peter, and two days with no response here - I think that tells you quite a lot about the popularity of this flashgun.</p>

<p>I don't own one of those flashes, but I do own a little Minolta A2 bridge camera and a couple of 3rd party flashes for it. My opinion is that the Sony F20M is overpriced and underpowered, and you'd do a lot better by buying an off-brand compatible flash. Anything from Metz or Nissin won't disappoint I'm sure. The HVL-F20M's stated GN of 20 won't be sufficient to use bounce flash in any sensibly sized room at an average subject distance. (Real GN will be more like 14, which is next to useless)</p>

<p>Unfortunately, it looks like you'll also have to buy an additional adapter from Sony's stupid Multi-Interface Adapter to a Sony/Minolta style hotshoe to be able to use a flash with that camera. Although I believe the HVL-F20M comes with such an adapter and Metz have just announced two models that fit directly into Sony's MIA, apparently.</p>

<p>Peter, I use the Sony HVL-F20M flash on my Sony NEX-6 and A7 cameras. Never disappointed me. It's very simple and extremely light (120 g) which makes it a perfect companion for travel. Works good for candids (not the best for studio work), white balance rendition with this flash is very accurate. Downside is that obviously it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like its F60 and F43 siblings but it's trade, of course.</p>

Sony HVL-F20M does not need an adapter for A6000 as both have same specification for the hot shoe: Sony multi interface hot shoe. It is the HVL-F20AM (notice the "A"), with Sony|Minolta iISO hot shoe, that would require the adapter to use with the new Sony MI hot shoe.

• 3 weeks later...

<p>If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Nissan i40 with Sony multifunctional shoe (conventional ISO type hotshoe).</p>

<p>The HVL-F20M is a very limited use speed-light and takes 2 batteries rather than the 4 of the Nissan. It doesn't swivel and is difficult to modify.</p>

<p>If you are just using on-camera lighting for a little direct fill, then the F20M probably would suffice. However, keep in mind that if you rend to bounce on-camera flash, or move to another Sony mirror-less model later, or look to more sophisticated lighting techniques, you may wish you had selected the Nissan i40.</p>

<p>Marc</p>

<p> </p>