SRT 201 Question

<p>Yesterday another Minolta SRT 201 arrived to fill out my collection. I have both CLC and later non-CLC models. All of the ones I had before yesterday had non-locking depth of field preview buttons. This one is a chrome CLC model with the plain microprism focusing aid. The Serial Number is 1352022. To my surprise it has a locking depth of field preview button. My guess is that there were left over parts for the SRT 101 or some other SRT model with the locking button and that they were used up in the early production of the 201. Has anyone else seen an SRT 201 with the locking button? </p>

<p>I don't have a SR-T 201, but I understand the model (also known as SR101 an SR-T 101b) was in production from 1975-77. To quote from the illustrious Rokkor files:</p>

<p>"The depth of field preview feature in all of the post 1977 SR-Ts was changed from that offered previously. Prior to 1977, most SR-Ts had a locking depth of field preview button (eg. press once to engage, then again to release). After 1977, all models had a depress and hold, non-locking button".</p>

<p>This seems to suggest that the SR-T 201, being in the pre-1977 era, would have been fitted with the locking button?</p>

<p>Two major changes took place during the '75 - '77 production run of the 201 CLC version. The locking depth of field preview button was apparently changed to a non-locking type and the focusing screen changed from plain microprism to split image surrounded by a microprism collar. As far as I know all of the later ('77 - '81) non-CLC 201s had the non-locking button and the combination split image/microprism focusing aid. It is difficult to know at what serial number a change was made because most sellers do not mention the changes in their descriptions of the cameras. </p>

<p>Some transition also. At our family camera shop we stocked the SRT 200, 201, and 202. I bought a 201 from stock in spring of 1978 and it had the non-locking depth of field preview, but microprism focusing. I later bought another SRT 201 (around 1980 or 81) which had non-locking DOF plus split image. The SRT 201 with locking DOF was current about a year or two before we stocked Minolta. FWIW, some prefer the locking DOF if using the old Auto-Rokkor lenses that required stop-down metering. The locking DOF was of course a carry over from the original SRT 100, 101, and 102. For occasional checking of DOF, I do find the non-locking slightly more convenient as the film doesn't have to be advanced for it to work. The electronic XE series, btw, all have locking DOF as far as I know. The XD's and XG's were non-locking.</p>

<p>Back in the 70s when I was a teenager very into photography, I helped a friend's father pick out an SRT (can't remember if it was the 100 series or 200 series) as his first serious camera. The question I remember most is "what is a 'format' camera?" He had read all these articles about a small "format camera" and a medium "format camera" and a large "format camera" and just couldn't figure out what kind of "format camera" to buy. :)</p>

<p>I thought I just had to find a black 201 and I'd have them all. Now that I know there was also a 201 with mirror lock-up I want that one too. Was there also a black 201 with mirror lock-up? Years ago I wrote a piece for CameraShopper on getting every version of something. My example was the 28/3.5 Konica Hexanon. Just when I thought I had them all, Greg Weber lent me two more versions I had never seen. There is some luck in finding a particular 201 variant because the sellers don't all know what to look for and you can't see all of the differences from their photos.</p>