D5500 Launch...

mike_halliwell

<p>Sorry guys, I am traveling on a different time zone so that I was not in front of a computer at the announcement time in Las Vegas at the CES.</p>

<p>The body only price for the D5500 is $899.95, which is $100 more than the introduction price for the D5300 about 15 months ago: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00c4q9<br>

Interestingly, Nikon is replacing a DSLR that already uses EXCEED 4 (D5300), while the "current" D7100 is still in the EXCEED 3 processor cycle. It should surprise no one that changes after merely 15 months and the same generation of processing engine are not major:</p>

<ul>

<li>The main difference is touch screen</li>

<li>ISO range is extended to 25600, from 12800 for the D5300.</li>

<li>Apparently Nikon has removed the built-in GPS, available on the D5300, from the D5500.</li>

<li>There is no explanation why Nikon skips D5400 after the D5000, D5100, D5200, and D5300.</li>

</ul>

<p>The slight price increase may indicate that Nikon will be positioning the successor to the D7100, which should be the next model up from the new D5500, a bit higher.</p>

<p>Nikon USA supplies us the news image below for the product launch. They own the copyright.</p><div>00d3Dd-553848084.jpg.f158fb2782f1d956968889fa99daa9cb.jpg</div>

<p>Is that a head detector?</p>

<p>I'd guess more and more folks are using the LCD over the optical finder, so does it help with metering accuracy with stray light control with no head obscuring the eyepiece via a blind (either mechanical or lcd gate) or something?</p>

<p>Anyone never lose the standard eyepiece blind/cover in less than 11 seconds of owning the camera? Oh give me the days of the F4 and others with a diy blind!<br>

Jim</p>

<p>I notice Nikon has moved from a chrome shutter release button (used on D5300 and other entry models) and used a black button for the D5500 (used on most of the advanced bodies). Small detail, but it is nice to see Nikon working out little details like this. I saw a reviewer also indicated the battery has been rotated like the D750, so hopefully that results in a satisfactory grip for such a small camera.</p>

<p>On one hand, Nice little camera if you're thinking to upgrade from older DX models (not the D5300), or first time DSLR. On the other hand the D5300 will become cheaper to get which is excellent since the difference in IQ is going to be none, same sensor from what it seems, and already the IQ of the D5300 when good lens when combined was super. In fact besides the new grip, less weight, the new touchscreen and more battery life I don't see any substantial differences with the previous model. Only few incremental changes. Or there are changes under the hood that we don't know?...Therefore I don't understand why the introductory price went up (actually they also took off the GPS feature from the new model). <br /> Just noticed that native ISO on the new model went up to 25.600 (100-25.600). D5300 was 100-12.800. I don't know if that means that we will see better low light performance on the D5500, which would be very welcomed.</p>

A really fluid touch screen interface is not necessarily a trivial programming task, even though by now we are used to such things in mobile phones and tablets. It is important to make the camera easier to use especially to the generation who have not used anything else. If Nikon wants young people to consider using a DSLR in addition to their phone camera they should make the transition as fluid as possible.

<p>I admit it's not <em><strong>that</strong></em> exciting, but what did people expect from the mid-range consumer model? However, I'm not sure how they justify the cost increase? Sure, touch screens are more expensive, but so are hi-res 3.2in non-touch screens!</p>

<p>Now if the D7100's replacement is truly boring, that would be very sad.</p>

<p>I suspect GPS was removed because it ate too much battery juice from an already hungry camera.</p>

<p>Using LV, lots of chimping, bit of video and some pop up flash was bad already....GPS just nailed the coffin lid down. I have 3 EnEl14's for a long busy day with my D5300.</p>

<p>Jim: the high-end Nikon bodies still have an integrated blind, just as the F5 did. (I never lost the cover off my Eos 300D, because it was on the strap; I did tend to lose the default eyepiece cover, because it became loose after removing it. Ironically, I've lost one from my F5 too - it unscrewed while I was carrying the camera around.)<br />

<br />

Given its position and that there doesn't seem to be one under the eyepiece, I have to assume the window between the hot shoe and the eyepiece is an eye detector to switch the rear LCD on and off. Seems more likely than an IR receiver, but maybe there's a weird flash thing going on that I don't know about.<br />

<br />

I'll be interested to see whether Nikon have done a good job playing catch-up with the touchscreen UI. I'm not really a fan of the exposed top right dial - it makes it easier for fluff to get into the dial and wastes some area on top of the camera - but it's hard to make sweeping judgements before seeing the camera. Well, okay, it's not, but I used all my credit doing that with the Df.<br />

<br />

I'd have assumed that the skipping of the D5400 was related to the "unlucky number 4" thing in some Asian markets - but this didn't seem to stop the F4 or D4, so maybe something else is happening.<br />

<br />

These are the models that make Nikon their money - or they will once they sell the backlog of D5200s - so I wish them luck with it. Though I'd have had marginally more interest in D7100 replacement, if only out of sympathy. (I'm still saving for a D810, so all of this is academic to me, but it's still nice to know Nikon has a good range for recommending to others.) At this rate, I'm wondering if a D3500 will be next.<br />

<br />

Curious that all has been quiet on the Canon front, 7D2 aside, for nearly a year. No new low-end models, no new full-frame bodies. I wonder if they're trying to flush the backlog, whether they have a problem (with DIGIC 6/7 or with trying to fix the dynamic range on their sensors), or if they're holding out until they can launch something more radical. Of course, I know nothing, I'm just a little surprised that Canon haven't pushed more models out the door to respond to Nikon's.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wonder if any of the haters and yawners are in the market for this category of camera? Genuine question.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That isn't the point. This camera is a feature laden camera aimed at an entry level or slightly higher market. The difference between the D5300 and D5500 is just not worth the additional money, nor does it provide a substantial improvement in the camera in general. The higher ISO is in the joke range. The articulated screen is a gimmick for <em>most </em>people already and a touch screen? Instant menu access for the very people who need it least.</p>

<p>The point is that Nikon is just indulging in a marketing ploy not building a substantially better camera. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>That isn't the point.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you aren't in the market for this kind of camera, then Nikon probably does not and probably should not pay attention to your preferences. You say high ISO is in the joke range, not sure whether you mean by that. As Arthur pointed out above, maybe the touch screen will allow users to bypass the menu in some ways. <br>

<br>

As for your final point, I think Nikon is interested to make money so it is only natural they will churn out the entry level models. What is so wrong with incremental changes?</p>

<p>Interestingly, or maybe not(?), no-one has tried voice control.</p>

<p>Would you like to <em><strong>whisper</strong></em> "White Balance ....Cloudy" or "ISO... 400".... "Mode..... Aperture"....."Remote ....10 seconds"....."Metering....Spot"......."Exposure Compensation....Plus 2"..?? etc etc*</p>

<p>All hands-free without moving your eye from the VF.</p>

<p>Just a thought.</p>

*ControlMyNikon will let you do this via a Tethered Windows machine. I currently use a Bluetooth headset, but it's not quite the same!

<p>Norbert, I'd not expect a D5 until the 2016 Olympics start looming (end of this year or start of next). Something wrong with replacing your D3 with a D4? The consumer bodies have always been replaced quite frequently - if anything, it's the D810 that surprised me.<br />

<br />

Mike: <i>no</i>. "White balance, cloudy, ISO 400, aperture priority, ... where did that deer go?"<br />

<br />

Chip: I think it's possible to have a valid opinion on a camera for which you're not a target buyer. Those of us who use cameras can form an opinion on how the controls work best. I never wanted a Df, but I still claimed that some design problems introduced limits - though others may find those limits acceptable. I don't want a D5500, but I can comment on the merits of some design decisions. The "copy Sony" rear dial particularly worries me because it looks like a trap for dirt and wastes some real-estate on the top plate. There may be merits to the decision as well (it might be easier to assemble, for example). It's certainly valid to comment on a camera that's in your market segment but which you don't want to buy. A Canon shooter recently asked me why I didn't want a 5D3. I can answer that. If Canon addressed all my concerns, maybe I <i>would</i> want one, and if Nikon met the needs of everyone who isn't tempted by a D5500, maybe they'd sell more.<br />

<br />

Of course, "I don't need the touch screen [which I suspect is mostly useful for autofocus selection, but I believe there are no tests yet] and so I'd rather buy a D5300 for less money" is a perfectly valid position. All else being equal, at least if it's not affecting the display quality, I'd rather have a touch screen as an optional interface mechanism than not, especially if Nikon have made a decent hash of it (TBD).</p>

<p>Rick, I think you're missing how many people now use cameras. Many people now keep up with their friends on social media and frequently post self-portraits of themselves with and without friends and different environments and to do this they usually use the front side camera on their phones. With the D5x00 screen you can turn it around 180 degrees so that you can see properly and compose the self-portrait with some degree of accuracy. Then it includes wifi so that you can transfer the images to your phone and post them online quickly. Whatever the artistic merits of these pictures, that's what photography is for many people today and Nikon needs to be aware of it and a part of this. Ignoring how ordinary people now use cameras would be very unwise. The touch screen interface is something people are now accustomed to in their phones and tablets and at the very least it makes it easier to zoom in and review the shots in detail without having to play with the difficult and unresponsive 4-way pad (which needs to be pressed in exactly the right direction, e.g. not diagonally) and buttons. For macro shots, live view is an essential tool, especially when using tilt/shift lenses. By allowing easier review of the details in the live view image, the touch screen should make it easier and more robust to apply the tilt movement in PC-E lenses (and bellows) in both close-up as well as landscape photography.</p>

<p>The tilting screen also makes it easier to capture macro shots low to the ground without getting dirty or risking injury. I had a sore neck for six months (so that I had difficulty seeing behind and around me in the car) after doing some icicle photography by lying on the ice and as I used the optical viewfinder I strained my neck. I needed the camera to be at ground level to align the optical axis perpendicularly with the icicles. If I had had a D5x00 series camera I could have made this shot more safely and easily.</p>

<p>Finally there is the matter of crowd shots at events. The tilting screen makes it easier to make overhead shots where the camera is as high as you can reach and through this you can get a better angle and fewer obstructions in the image showing activity that may be out of reach with eye level viewing. I've done this type shots on occasions with a fixed LCD and it would be more precise and easier with a tilting screen. Another way to use it is to get a low viewpoint for more drama. Again you can do this by kneeling down but in the long term it is not good for your knees, back, or neck to be constantly in a crouched position. If you're not looking for new angles to shots it limits the visual interest of the photos if they're always from your eye level. For wedding photography I think these angled views from different levels are very important. For whole body portraiture also it is important to get the camera height just right, which may be higher or lower than eye level.</p>

<p>Both features (the touch screen and the two-axis tilt mechanism) are something that I would value in my photography but I would prefer them in an FX camera. The one-axis tilting screen of the D750 is not enough for me since my macro shots are often verticals. I don't do selfies nor do I post on facebook so I don't need the wifi for that but having the integrated wifi would be very useful for studio work, to show the subjects what the shots look like on a big calibrated screen and also to refine the lighting to a degree not easy otherwise. Using a cable for tethering to laptop is risky - sometimes someone steps on it and the connector may be broken, and sometimes in vertical orientation the cable just disconnects by itself. The extremely expensive WT-5 is not a very economical solution it is designed for remote operation at sports venues etc. where long distance transmission is needed.</p>

<p>The screen and connectivity features are something that I consider important and useful developments in camera technology and they're useful both for the social media active consumers as well as professional photographers working in journalism, events, portraiture, landscape and macro photography. I hope Nikon includes them on some other DSLR models as well.</p>

<p>If you don't want to accept the risk of failure that might occur if the tilting mechanism or connections are damaged in an impact, Nikon has many cameras with fixed screens as well as ones without built in wifi if you don't like that. E.g. D810, D4s, Df, D7100, D610, etc.</p>