Is there a way to install WIn8.1 Metro Apps to SD card?

<p>Some Windows 8.1 tablets come with limited internal storage but has external SD card capability; problem is, the default app. installation location is under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and will quickly fill up the internal storage with just a few large programs.</p>

<p>So my question is, is there a way to redirect the installation of the program files to the SD card? It used to be possible with Windows 8, but not 8.1 that I'm aware of. </p>

<p>Some users have reported success using Symlinks but don't describe the steps to accomplish it while others have bricked their tablets trying.<br>

<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>Creating a symbolic link is practically the only way I see that would be worth trying - or a mountpoint (aka NTFS Junction); however, the problem with either of those solutions is that it is all or nothing - you'd have to find a way to move the whole folder over, and next make that folder map to the other path (I'd probably try with a mountpoint). Symbolic link: the command-line option <em>mklink</em> still exists in Win8.1. Mount-point: in disk management, instead of assigning a drive letter, you can assign a mount point.<br>

No idea how windows likes that, though...the Windows store is meant to be simple and easy - and that means configuration options are simply not even meant to be there. A second concern is speed - SD card readers in tablets aren't likely to reach very high speeds, even with the fastest SD cards.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback, guys. </p>

<p>I don't know about iPads but Android lets users move installed programs around effortlessly. I think Microsoft should seriously consider addressing these basic issues if they want to be a serious alternative in the tablet market. The only reason I can think of for the missing "feature" is to allow OEMs to upsell tablets with more internal storage at huge margins. </p>

<p>Too bad, really. Running full-fledged Windows 8.1 on a tablet is (to me) a real plus. Mine serves as a secondary computer using Input Director, a grab-and-go computer, and complements my Android tablet perfectly. </p>

<p>Wouter, I'll look into Mount-Point and Symlink; thanks as always for the helpful computer tech-support. :-) </p>

• 2 weeks later...

Applications need to be installed to non removable media in Windows. This is a non negotiable condition.

Consider what happens when you eject a drive that contains the currently executing application? Not a good user experience. An app expects its package contents to be accessible at all times.

Even after the OS insists its a really bad idea, users can un-mount drives. Please don't do this.

In Windows 8.0 you cannot control where the metro apps (aka Store apps), aka Universal Windows Apps packages and their application data are stored.

Soon it was found this really sucks. Like a lot since the Amazon developers chose default roaming storage for their Kindle app 1.0. And you have a Windows RT tablet with 32GB. That's another story

Windows 8.1 allows you to set the default drive for Store app data. Pop in your SD card and...

From the Start screen, Swipe in from the right to bring up the charms menu. Choose Change PC settings. PC settings app launches. Choose PC and devices, Choose Devices, Scroll the right content pane so this moves into view, Choose Default Save Locations.

It should offer up the removable SD drive as a location to set as default. Works great!

It all has to do with locking down the file system for apps. They don't get to ask where their Default data is stored. You can get the users permission to access the entire file system, but people are paranoid these days. I don't know why ;)

Does not solve your problem, but I hope it helps