Formatting photos to 1000px x 800px

benno_cooper

<p>I would like to format some photos for a website. I have no idea how to do it. What is the best way? Is there a website or photo program that I should be using. My skills are basic, and since I'm the only person with a camera, this task has been delegated to me. I have a nikon D80. Thanks in advance. Also, for this camera, is there a lens that you could suggest for close up pictures of models, and material for clothes.<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>Didn't the D80 come with software? You should be able to download it from Nikon. Another option is to download Irfanview, a free program. Download the free plugins too. http://www.irfanview.com/</p>

<p>It will allow you change the size of your images. Also, check with the website you want to post on.. Some sites will automatically reduce images to their maximum size to keep memory space to a reasonable size even though you download full, original size. Good luck.</p>

There are many programs that can do what you want. However, no matter which program you use, be absolutely sure

you are clear on the difference between cropping a 1000x800 pixel area out of a larger image (say, 2000x1600 pixels)

versus resizing the larger image down to the desired pixel dimensions. In the first case, you are removing parts of the

image. In the 2nd case, the new image will show the entire area of the original image, just at lower resolution. You

wouldn't believe how much confusion this distinction causes, and the concept is used in all image editors.

As Alan suggested, Irfanview works, as does the editor supplied by the mfgr of your camera, as does Google's free

program, Picasa and many, many others.

HTH,

Tom M

<p>You can do this in any image editing software but Photoshop is the most widely used. The Photoshop Elements version is consumer friendly and consumer priced.<br /><br />Regardless of which program you use, first make a copy of your file so you are not working on the original. Then crop the copy to 8x10 proportions, otherwise the shape of the image won't necessarily fit into 800x1000. (There will be a place in the program where you can choose the aspect ratio of the program.) Then go into Image>Resize and set the scale for pixels rather than inches. Then make the long edge 1000 and the other edge should automatically become 800.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>Regardless of which program you use, first make a copy of your file so you are not working on the original.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Important advice!<em><strong><br /></strong></em></p>

<p>There's absolutely no need to work on a backup in LR or Aperture. That's the way they work. The original is never affected. It does make sense to have a backup somewhere, but that can be offline, in the cloud, etc. What is important is to a) have a backup somewhere, and b) backup the catalog, because that is what saves the edits. In PS and some other programs, the edits are baked into the final output. In Lightroom, one image can be given ten different sizes in a minute or two without ever touching the original or having to do a "save as." </p>

<p>They are popular programs, although Aperture is fading. Since the OP didn't state any software usage, it makes sense to let them know about the popular programs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, for this camera, is there a lens that you could suggest for close up pictures of models, and material for clothes.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>1. What lenses do you have?<br>

2. When you write “models” - do you mean pictures of people modelling clothes or samll toy-like models?<br>

3. And when you write "close-up pictures" - do you mean close up pictures ONLY of material swatches - i.e. NOT close up pictures of toy models or other similar small objects?</p>

<p>WW </p>

<p> </p>