...and its another monitor question

<p>Hello all<br>

I'll be purchasing one of the new macmini's shortly to replace my 6 year old macbook pro. Lightroom 5 is terribly slow on this old machine with only 4G RAM. I'm still using my 2004 20inch apple cinema display (the one with aluminium casing)# So I'm on a budget and looking at purchasing one of the Dell Ultra's, probably this one: <a href="http://accessories#ap#dell#com/sna/productdetail#aspx?c=au&cs=aubsd1&l=en&sku=391-BBOI">UP2414Q</a><br>

Has anyone used this montor for photo editing. How does it compare to the current apple cinema display or non 5k iMac? Are there other monitors out there worth considering at this price point?<br>

Cheers<br>

Shane</p>

<p>I can't speak to this monitor, but I have an older Dell 24-inch Ultra and it's great. I will be interested to hear what the experts on PhotoNet have to say as well.</p>

<p>Have you considered how other applications will look and work on such a high resolution monitor? For example, videos on YouTube or news websites could be unacceptably small.</p>

<p>Hi Shane - As a side note. If you have the late 2008 MacBook Pro, even through they were speced at 4G, they can be upgraded to 8G and breath life into that machine. May save you some money to invest in your monitor.<br>

You can get the Ram from MacSales.com I did that a while back and it made a big difference.<br>

FYI</p>

<p>Thanks.<br /> I didn't consider how other apps will look I'll check that out some more.<br /> As for my macbook its an early 2008 model and 4G is the max according to the specs that is. Unless there is a cheat to this? <br>

Just checked your weblink and says my laptop can be upgraded to 6G Ram... wonder why apple don't advertise this?</p>

<p>Hi Shane - The specs for the late 2008 MacBook Pro were also 4G and it supports 8G.<br>

Apple has very exacting specs for the memory in electrical signals and power dissipation. Rams that met those specs at the time were not available. The hardware logically supports more memory and there are better Rams that can meet the Apple specifications. <br>

Turns out that if you go to the Apple store they often pull up a cheat sheet of what they support today that is different then is what is on the Apple support page. Go figure.<br>

6G won't be as big a boost yet compared to 4G I bet you see a noticeable difference.<br>

Looks like it would cost you $130 to find out.</p>