SB25, 26 or 28: which to keep?

mervyn_wilmington

<p>The time has come when I must dispose of some 'old' Nikon equipment. I have these three guns. I think that two should go. Which should I retain?</p>

<p>I have some vague recollection that either the 25 or 26 is more useable in some respects than the 28, perhaps as a slave?</p>

<p>Advice would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>The SB-26 is the only one that has a built-in slave sensor Mervyn. Otherwise the specs of all three are very similar WRT light output and facilities.</p>

<p>If you're not into strobist use of speedlights, then I'd personally "vote off" the SB-25 and 28. OTOH, if you use multiple flash at all, then why not get a cheap set of radio triggers and make them all fully useable again? In Manual or AA mode only of course. Shame that the FP mode isn't accessible to modern DSLRs, since there's no good reason it shouldn't be.</p>

<p>To the OP, it helps if we know which cameras use and what other flashes you also have, etc. Those old flashes are useful mainly if you are still using Nikon film SLRs. And even though you still shoot film, if you have an SB-800 or two (or SB-600, SB-80DX ..) that can still work with film SLRs, keeping the old film flashes may become a low priority.</p>

<p>Keep all. Great for portrait studio work. Get some cheap 603ii slaves and a 50x70 brolly softbox from ebay and u got an excellent setup for rim lighting kicker main and fill. Got pissed when my 28 stopped working. Did ao many weddings with it. Great for off camera fill for the dance floor</p>

<p>I'm sure it is Robert, but I don't do studio work. Moreover, the house is full of photographic stuff accumulated over 40 years or more. To make things worse, I've just been naughty and bought a Fuji X-E2 with the 18-55mm lens. I now wish to sell a few things to buy a couple more good lenses for it! I've sort of vowed that I won't buy more without moving some existing stuff out.</p>