Sigma 30mm/f1.4 EX DC HSM Versions

jim_foley4

<p>I'm looking for a used Sigma 30mm/f1.4 DX lens and I'm finding what I think are multiple versions of the EX DC HSM lens. Neither is the A (ART) version and I'm not finding much by searching the Internet. It looks like one has a AF/M switch and the other does not. If this is true, is there a name difference and which one is older? More importantly, is one better than the other? I understand that better is subjective but let's say overall optical performance and build quality. Any other input is welcome. Thanks.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>For the Nikon dslrs there are only two versions of the 30 f1.4, the original one that's sharp in the center but the corners never become sharp no matter how far you stop it down, and the new Art version which is a little better in the corners.<br>

http://www.lenstip.com/190.1-Lens_review-Sigma_30_mm_f_1.4_EX_DC_HSM-Introduction.html<br>

http://www.lenstip.com/370.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_30_mm_f_1.4_DC_HSM-Introduction.html<br>

Sigma also makes a 30 f2.8 for the Sony Nex and micro 4/3s cameras. <br>

Of course, their best lens in that focal range is the new 35 f1.4 for full frame cameras:<br>

http://www.lenstip.com/359.4-Lens_review-Sigma_A_35_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_Image_resolution.html</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jim, I got curious so I looked on Keh.com - I think that's your source, right? The one without the switch has the same specs as the new A version, so my thinking is that Keh messed up their product listings. You could always call them to clarify which lens they're actually selling.</p>

<p>Jim, I think there are only two versions. You may be looking at images of the same version (same generation, same optical formula) but for different camera brands and therefore different lens mounts. This is a third-party lens with different mounts so that even the same version may have slightly different looks, i.e. with or without AF motor on the body, different mount-to-sensor distances, etc.</p>

<p>Thank you Mike, Andy and Shun. Andy, you are correct they are from KEH and both listed as Nikon mount. Thus my confusion but I've seen them mixed other places as well. Shun, your explanation makes sense and Mike's link shows them all. I never thought of that. Mike, the DG HSM would be nice but unfortunately difficult to justify. Thanks. </p>

Yeah, it looks like somehow they have two listings and one (with switch) looks like a Canon version while the other (no

switch) looks like the Nikon version. One of them appears to have the correct specs for the pre-A lens while the other has

the specs for the A lens with a title and photo of a non-A lens. That's why I think Keh made an error in the listings.

<p>There are 6 mount variants of the 1st version of this lens, 3 with the A/M 'switch' and 3 without.</p>

<p>With the A/M switch are....Canon, Olympus and Sigma</p>

<p>Without are..... Nikon, Pentax and Sony.</p>

<p>I have the Nikon version and it's fine in the frame center, but those corners and edges, well, it's best not to look!</p>

<p>I tried astro for a short while with this lens. Corner coma was horrendous. I'd never seen a '<strong>T</strong>' shaped star before...:-(</p>

I'm pretty positive there is only

one non-art 30mm f/1.4 for Nikon.

I bought one on recommendation of

some people here on photo.net and

I absolutely love mine. It's tack

sharp in the center, but the

corners are extremely soft wide

open and don't improve a whole

lot more as you stop down. I got

mine for one $110 (the paint was

scratched up and far from beautoful), so I can't complain at all. I have tested the ART

version, and while I will say

it's better in the corners when

you stop down, I wouldn't pay the

$390 more than I did for the

improvement.

<p>Thanks to all. I ordered what I hope is the ART version from KEH. The description and Sigma part number were both right for the ART but the picture was not. I'm not sure why I didn't think to call before pulling the trigger this morning. They processed the order almost instantly. Oh well. I hope I get the ART and I hope it's a good one. If not I'll be out the return postage. Don't tell my wife I bought it. ;-)</p>

<p>Update: I received the Non-ART version of the Sigma lens. I tried it and sure enough the edges are quite soft. Also the auto-focus was not all that consistent. It also refused to focus at all in live-view mode on D7100. I contacted KEH about the incorrect specification on their site and they offered free return shipping and full refund. After looking at dpreview I decided to save money and risk and just buy a new Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX lens from KEH. It may be 1/2 stop slower but I know it will be compatible and pretty darn sharp at f/2.8 - 5.6<br>

While testing the Sigma I confirmed once again that the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 is a really good lens even wide open.</p>

<p>Nikon's 17-55mm/f2.8 AF-S is indeed a very good lens. The weak part is on the wide end; if you check results at 17mm, the corners are weak.</p>

<p>The 35mm/f1.8 DX AF-S is a good deal. Its main weakness is chromatic aberration, which is well known and has been discussed here a number of times.</p>