New to LF: Toyo-View or Sinar?

bruno_lessen

<p>Hello;<br>

I'va a question: I would like to start with the LF, but I am undecided between two cameras: Toyo-View 45GII and Sinar P2. Which one?<br>

Any suggestions?<br>

I think I should consider the availability of accessories and so on...<br>

Also suggestions about other cameras are welcome.</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p> </p>

<p>They're both excellent cameras, with the nod going to the Sinar for construction quality and availability of accessories. That said, I am a long time happy user of Toyo monorails and have never felt limited by their capabilities. My philosophy for large format was always to spend as much as possible for lenses and as little as possible for cameras, as long as they were solid enough to hold film and lens firmly in place, and provided adequate movements. The Toyos have served me well a modest cost.</p>

Sinar, preferably a C or a P. Using Sinar's yaw-free off-axis tilt and swing movements on these cameras make life for

large format photographers much, much easier and concentrate more on the content of the photo rather than one

correcting the corrections when using movements. The Sinar C uses the rear function carrier and the front standard of the

F/F2. Another benefit of these cameras is Sinar's depth of field and tilt/swing angle calculator.

<p>If you're new to large format I suggest saving money with a used Calumet 400 or Graphic View II---certainly not more the $150 cost. get a good tripod (again used---because they are better than the current import) TiltAll made in the USA---not more than $90. There are excellent modern lenses in the 210mm range that go begging for $200. So $500 (less actually) will get you a monorail capable of everything a high dollar camera can do.<br>

If you like large format photography you can upgrade your kit as needed. If the relationship is fleeting, you can sell it for what you pad for it <em>and in the mean time you won't be out a ton of $$.</em></p>