100 per cent viewfinder display, which cameras?

gib

I was wondering in a not so urgent way about the number of cameras

that offer a 100 per cent view of the image in the viewfinder in 35mm

format.

I am aware of the Nikon F2 that does this. Any others?

I checked the archive but didnt find anything, most questions seemed

to be aimed at eyepoint relief which is somewhat related.

My point in asking this comes from a question in another forum about

getting the image right in the camera and not relying on the post

shot editing possibilities of s/w like Photoshop.

The colour slide and its relationship to 100> viewfinders is a very

specific part of this question.

I would imagine this narrows itself down to SLR cameras but I could

be wrong.

Thanks for any ideas and information in response to this question.

Bill Gibson

I'll add that 100% viewfinders are superb for experimenting with and evaluating vignetting. Not sure if lens hood X works on lens Y, no problem.

100% slide mounts are available but do keep the cropping in mind if you intend to keep your slides in standard mounts. (if you bother with mounts at all)

I think, by now, you begin to see a pattern from all the answers, namely that pro-grade SLRs show 100% and consumer-grade don't. I believe the rationale is that pro's and serious amateurs shoot slides and b/w where you (have the potential to) use the full image area, whereas aunt Selma wants colour prints. Aunt Selma and the print lab are equally likely to crop heads and feet off the subjects and with a little spare at the margins, chances are that the print comes out allright anyway.

Mats, I suspect it has more to do with economics. On amateur grade, it is not considered critical to have 100%, and there are cost savings from using a smaller mirror or pentaprism. If the price was the same, I expect every camera would show 100%.

FYI, I looked up the Pentax LX, which I was thinking showed 100%- but it was like 95% in one direction, 98% in the other- close, but not quite there. It certainly wasn't intended for casual snapshooters, though.

I discovered some time back that the 1-hour machine at the local drugstore could not print 100% of a frame- they could shift the film one way or the other, and print either end (so I could get the locomotive, or the caboose, but not the whole train!). Considering that they were printing 4x6 prints that are EXACTLY the same shape as the negative, this was a rather irritating problem.

I have never read or seen information anywhere on the accuracy of the actual negative size in the camera- is it EXACTLY 24mm x36mm in every camera, or are there slight variations there as well?