Tripod with Rotating Centre Column

danny_rowton

Does anybody out there know of a cost effective option for

tripods where I can get my camera to be held out like a boom

mic but still be secured from tipping over at the legs? Also

want to be able to get the camera perfectly flat facing the sky

straight up (for long exposures). My Manfrotto doesn't allow

this as it is.

I think I need a tripod with a rotating centre column.

<p>It depends a little on how high you need your camera and which way you are pointing. If you have a tripod with independent leg spread, many things can be done without a trick column. Try shortening two legs and splaying them out, with the camera midway between the two wide legs. A plain independent leg tripod can do macro work, or act as a copy stand if you treat the legs separately. If you have a tripod with a horizontal column, you can get it out further by spreading the legs out. If your head pans you rotate that, not the column. A ball head should point just about any way you want without fuss. </p>

<p>If you want to point your camera straight up without a horizontal column or a ball head, mount it backwards on the tripod or quick release pad, or use a quick release system that allows you to mount the pad backwards on the head. The relatively cheap Slik DX pads are square and can be mounted any of four ways, and the larger Slik pads are round. Manfrotto hex pads can be mounted backwards. Straight down becomes straight up. On a three way head, you can get straight up with either vertical or horizontal tilt if you displace the camera. Just be careful not to poke your face with the tripod handles. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>As David said, check out Benbo. I have the Benbo 1 (not sure that model is still made), and while it can be a little awkward to operate at times, it's solid and can get in about any position you want. Uni-loc is similar, and from what I read, made by folks who left Benbo.</p>

<p>Manfrotto and others make boom arms which can be attached to a tripod or a tripod head. They are mostly in the tripod head and tripod accessories sections. It appears that some can be rotated within their clamps,hold a tripod head out from the tripod, etc. Of course you'd still have the problems of vibration and support and may need to weight the tripod or legs for balance issues.<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Tripods-Support/ci/8310/N/4075788771</p>

Hi guys and thank you for your responses, all of which were

very helpful. Matthew, I must confess it didn't even occur to me

to simply mount the camera backwards! I may not need a new

tripod after all. Though I do want the boom mic style option.

What that's for is I have a vintage Nikkor 7.5mm fisheye and I

need to get everything away from it as it picks up 180 degree

field of view. Beautiful old thing. Food for thought. Cheers guys.

<p>The Manfrotto "Pro" tripods have a horizontal column arrangement. The older ones require that you remove the column and reinsert it, and I think the new ones do it in one operation. The bigger ones are quite stable even with the column out a fair amount. I enclose a quick and dirty shot of my old 3021 with the column horizontal, and a 3055 ball head (also pretty old). It also has a trick leveling column to allow level panning without leg adjustment. I got the head years ago used, and the tripod for a sinfully low price at a yard sale. It weighs a ton, but it would be hard to find any position or aiming direction that this setup cannot achieve. The F4 at the end of this is at no risk at all, If it had a fisheye lens (don't I wish) I think this would handle it just fine. Why don't you send me the fisheye to try? I'll send it back with results in a year or two.</p><div>00d6Gw-554539884.jpg.a373420a330a83b5e4fca6c4ad37809b.jpg</div>

Thanks for the pic Matthew. I am officially 'on the lookout' for

similar at the right price. I do need a more robust tripod anyway

really. Mine is ok and obviously I can add ballast in the middle

but it's a stepping stone. I'm also a film user. You can pick up

the fisheye's cheaper if like me your prepared to take one that's

a bit battle scarred (but optically clean) & without a case. I was

looking for months and months and got there in the end.

<p>A Benbo tripod is the ultimate in flexibility, and the expense of size, weight, and difficulty to use. The column and all three legs pivot freely about the base, and are locked with a single control. The legs are also extensible, with the lower leg on the outside, placing its controls near the top.</p>

<p>To use a Benbo, you loosen the joint (holding the camera) and place the camera where you want it. Everything is locked in place with a large, swivel handle. To do this takes two hands and a foot to put everything in place, each and every time you use the tripod. It's great for closeups, not so convenient for landscapes.</p>

<p>The Gitzo tripod is nearly as flexible, but has separate locks for the column and each leg. However, you can set friction for the legs and only lock them down as needed. It's also a lot smaller to carry than the Benbo, which is about the size and weight of a rocket launcher (and terrifies horses you meet on the trail).</p>

<p>Last I saw, Vermont Camera Works in Pittsford had a used Benbo with a very nice Kirk ball head for sale. I don't remember the price, but it was decent for the thing it is. The ball head was a beauty.</p>

<p>As Edward Gingold says, that Benbo is a mighty piece of hardware indeed, but it sure is nicely made. I'm pretty well immersed in big old Manfrottos with hex plate heads, for which I have made a handful of custom pads, or I'd think harder about it myself. </p>

<p>It's not listed on their site, but many things are not. If you really like the idea, it might be worth contacting them: http://vermontcamera.com/</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I have two BOGEN MANFROTTO DUAL END ARMS<br /> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=554334&gclid=CPuHg4v3kMQCFShn7AodhAkAoQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details<br>

One I paid $25 in the box LN at eBay..<br />The horizontal has a laptop table at one end, I made a small 1/2" thick plastic table by tapping 3/8"-16 hole screwed to the mount.. On the other end of the horizontal is the other arm mounted vertically so the laptop table stays at a fixed height and I can move the camera up and down when wanted ... You can just counter weight one end and not use a laptop..</p>