Weekly Post-Processing Challenge - Nov 30 2014

<p>Howdy all,<br>

I know I'm a bit early, but I need to be gone long before the sun gets up tomorrow. As I said I would start the thread going I needed to do it early. <br>

I thought I would offer an image which for me is a tad different. Over all a decent image but one that could use tweaking. I have several I have done & thought it would be interesting to see your ideas for it.</p><div>00cyw6-552855884.jpg.2dfc328722d439bc5e6783c34a482c17.jpg</div>

<p>Good job, Rick. Waiting for dinner company, so I took a run at it.</p>

<p>First, using PSE 11, I rotated the image horizontally for purposes of composition. Then, I used the spot healing brush to eliminate the brown streak in the original's upper left and the object in the opposite corner. Then, I went to Color Efex Pro 4. I corrected the color cast and adjusted the contrasts using the Pro Contrast filter. Next was some tonal and detail adjustments using the Dark Contrasts filter. Finally, back to PSE11, I made final tonal adjustments using levels.</p><div>00cywI-552856384.thumb.jpg.860b58e67a31a7cfc025af842405f70d.jpg</div>

<p>Rick, this is a great image. Bust since this is a "challenge" I wanted to give it a go. First I took it into LR 5.7 and did my normal adjustments, i.e., shadows, highlights, white, blacks, etc. Then took it to PS12 and used the Out-Of-Bounds tool I recently discovered in the Guided portion of that program. Seemed like a perfect situation to use this tool. </p><div>00cywV-552856984.jpg.b020a6e1497fc17fbe3ba3bb52dc4bf5.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shot!</p>

<p>My usual inclination is to take a candid like this and go straight to monochrome. So that's why I'mengage in color for this exercise. :-) My goal was to balance out the light a tiny bit, kill some of the magenta tones in the face, and tighten the crop. I also cloned out distracting elements. Nothing fancy...</p><div>00cyy9-552860784.jpg.beb82ed92a485f92d2f9582d706c7cf6.jpg</div>

<p>I adjusted lighting and white balance both in Camera raw and Color Efex. I also adjusted color and lighting in Color Efex and added a little bit of structure. I duplicate the image a few times and created a few circles from the tuba. I then applied a radial motion blur to the background. I added a few layers with gradients. I tweaked the color and highlights and shadows further more in PS. I created a B&W version and blended the luminosity in PS layers. Did local adjustments using layers and masks. Finally, cropped and framed.</p>

<p>I forgot to mention one step that might be useful to some:<br>

To remove reddish/magenta hues from the skin, I duplicate the layer, then add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Select Red instead of the default Master. Boost saturation to 100% so you can see what will be affected. Reduce the color range to select only what is needed. Move the saturation back to 0 or a little on the negative side. Move the Hue towards yellow and adjust lightness if needed. This works wonder when you need to remove blotches and redness from skin. I then add a mask and remove anything that might have been affected where I did not want it.</p>

<p>I created a layer for shadows/highlights, and after doing some messing around, created a mask for it an applied some adjustment to the face only. Then I created a levels layer and blacked out what I could of the background, then used a painting layer to paint out the rest. I'm loving those layer masks, as they make it easy to make adjustments to only certain parts of the picture. Then I applied a layer for sharpening, and combined them all. Didn't do any messing around with artistic filters this time, though I can see where they might have fit quite nicely. All edits done in Photoshop Elements 13.</p><div>00cz1Z-552872084.jpg.40fbccde7fe75ec91d219f862d15b7a2.jpg</div>