users. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with the BH-1 with

LF ? I have a Toyo 45AII and a Toyo 45G which weigh 6 and 13 lbs

respectively. I'm sure the BH-1 will work with the 45AII but

doubtful about the 45G. I even called Kirk and they said that the BH-

1 "should" work with the 45G. This response did little to inspire

confidence in me. I presently own an Arca Swiss B-1 which I

absolutley love, and am looking for a second head to augment my

system. The only reason I'm considering the Kirk is the lower

price. Thanks in advance for your answers.

I use a BH-1 with my Canham DLC45 and it works great! The Kirk heads, in my opinion, are

overbuilt (a good thing) and I imagine the BH-1 could be used with your 45G. In fact, I

have recently switched to using the Kirk BH-3 (smaller version) with my Gitzo Carbon

Fibre and even this lightweight head gives me good stability.

Doug,

I've used both and the BH-1 will be fine. If anything it's more robust than the Arca-Swiss. If you love the Arca however, I'd stick with it. As others have noted, the Kirk doesn't have the Arca's elliptical ball and the camera can "flop" on you, so your technique has to compensate. Switching back and forth might be hazardous to your gear.

Thanks!

Steve

I used to have a BH-1 on which I mounted a 4x5 Wisner Technical Field camera. After using the BH-1 for a couple of years and lugging it around on my bag (it is a heavy bugger after all), I now have an Acratech. It is *VERY* sweet. Very light. Incredibly well made.

(Of course, it helps that I have a camera that is also half the weight of my Wisner... but it's still quite noticeable without the camera)

Tim: Yes I am testing the Acra-tech. I've owned an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball for around seven years. I bought it used. I have never, ever had any lock up problems, and I certainly don't baby it. lately I've been shooting in freezing and sub-freezing temperatures with it and I've had no problems. A couple of years ago there was a single batch of B1 Monoballs that had some bad parts that caused the problems the last poster mentioned.

I've used the B1 with a Linhof Technika 4x5 and it worked fine. However, it has frozen up on me twice and, worse yet, while I was in the middle of a two week photography trip the screw thingy that is needed to be able to rotate the tension knob fell out and was lost, making it impossible to tighten the head. I learned from Arca Swiss that this problem has been corrected on newer B1 heads (mine is about 8 years old) but it cost $75 to retrofit mine to the newer version. Not something I would have expected considering the price and supposed quality of this head.

With the B1 and BH-1 heads it is more a matter of torque than weight. A BH-1 will do just fine; however, switching back and forth between a BH-1 and a B1 isn't something I'd want to do. There are just enough differences in the controls and orientation to make it difficult switching quickly between them.

• 3 weeks later...