(TTL). There will be a final batch of 999 cameras, with special

engraving. You can read about it at http://www.leica-

camera.com/produkte/msystem/m6ttl/index.html (in German) and at

http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/msystem/m6ttl/index_e.html (in

English)

Carsten

http://www.cabophoto.com/

Quote from sales blurb:<p>

"As collectors´ items, the cameras have special serial numbers ranging from 001/999 to 999/999 and are delivered in a <b>valuable wooden box.</b> Also included is a <b>certificate signed by Hans-Peter Cohn, c. e. o. of Leica Camera AG, and Ralf Coenen, c. o. o. of Leica Camera AG.</b>"<p>

Well, that box and certificate sure sound impressive!

The saddest part about all this is quite simply that this is the end of the 100% mechanical rangefinder ala Leica M. What a wonderful piece of durable, no nonsense equipment the M6 was and still is. Hopefully the Germans will see the error of their ways and eventually bring back some sort of reincarnation of the totally mechanical workhorse.

Cheers.

-Ed

so what fully mechanical 35mm cameras remain?? the om is gone. the fm-2 is gone. the leica is gone. the k1000 is gone. besides the voigtlander bessa, what's left?? i should add that, apart from the blad 500 series, the rolleiflex fx/gx, and a few eastern european offerings, fully mechanical mf is a dying breed as well. will there be no fully mechanical cameras (new) at all in five years??

Got to give credit to Leica for creating a demand again by sending out "signals" on the supply side that the mechanical M6's production has stopped, and then as a token tending to us Leica bleeding hearts, it comes out with 999 of the last and the greatest. Well if you all believe that, I've got beachfront property for sale in Montana. I'll bet you 10:1, down the road another mechanical equivalent of the M6 classic will be marketed under another special/commemorative/the absolute last of the last/presented in exotic wooden box/signed by the CEO, COO etc etc........then I hope the demand for it falls miserably just like the "Leica 0 (zeros)".

It is no great surprize as people have been voting with their pocket books ever since the M7 came out. It also would not surprize me to find out that there actually has been no production of M6TTLs since the M7 was released. There are no 0.72x TTLs left and this special edition comes only with either the 0.58x or 0.85x finders. Sounds like a clever way to clear out dead stock at a premium. You have to admit that Leica AG has some very smart marketing people!

Henry-I'll take a piece of that action!

John,

Don't know if they're that clever. They just know that 1.) They have to clean out their parts bins 2.) There are at least a 1,000 folk in the universe who will buy one to keep their "one of almost everything Leica" collections complete and 3.) They know a high margin when they see one.

Best,

Jerry

Hi

it wouldn't be so bad if the M7 is still able to function completely without using batteries. The Nikon FM2 / FM3a is able to do that. Both that and the Bessa R2 are able to trigger flash without batteries too, unlike the M6TTL or M7...

So obviously, the M7 is lacking in many ways compared to the SLR or rangefinder alternatives.

As it stands, Leica can no longer call themselves a maker of solid reliable battery independent mechanical cameras. And neither can they call themselves a player in the digital photography arena.

End of an era for the M6? Sounds frighteningly like the end of an era for Leica.....

A simplyfied M6? I think the current M6 is already as simple as it gets. How to make it simpler? Maybe a one-piece film advance lever, no cover on the PC connector, fewer threads on the battery cover, what else, what else??? I do not envy the Leica engineers working on making a simpler Leica.

:-)