Need help on Background removal

<p>Friends,<br>

I am into small scale jewelry business and trying to take photographs of jewelry at home and post on websites for sale. I use a white chart paper as background and take photos.. come out very well. But Almost all websites insist on transparent background (not white).<br>

Searched across web on how to remove the background - nothing worked. Tried clippingmagic.com to simplest MS Powerpoint to remove background. No consistent results. <br>

Looking for suggestions to <br>

- Remove background without any frills or keep it transparent background<br>

- How to take good jewelry photographs with simplest arrangement at home.<br>

Thanks a lot.</p>

<p><i>Mod: Moved to Digital Darkroom Forum.</i></p>

<p>For starters, I think you posted your message on the wrong forum since it obviously has nothing to do with either portrait or fashion, but concerns at least product photography (but also other subjects), which could explain the low response.</p>

<p>Secondly you are very incomplete with the exact details on what is exactly required or how you are shooting.<br /> It's for instance unclear to me what you mean with a transparent background. And what do you mean with shooting on a white paper background? Do you display the item directly on the paper, or do you use the paper as a background above which you display the item (on a elevated glass plate) and then take a picture of?</p>

<p>It's in my experience simply impossible to photograph an items without recording the background. If the item is simple displayed on a white piece or paper it's simply impossible not to record the background/the white paper (apart from the technical challenge of shooting it shadowless).<br /> Yes, on a slide film a white background will record as a blank piece of emulsion on/transparant piece of the slide. But when printed it will take the color of the exposed photopaper (= white).</p>

<p>So, I'm guessing, do the websites require you to send in pictures of a single item which they then can later use to 'project' (for lack of a better description) on a background to be chosen by themselves (a bit like projecting a slide on a projection screen)?</p>

<p>If however you want to be able to take an item photographed and later 'glue' them into whatever background you/the sites you send your pictures to may decide on, there are different approaches.</p>

<p>In the old days retouchers and air brush artists made a good living cleaning up backgrounds by literally masking parts of the negatives with light blocking paints or inks. That way only part of the printing paper wold get exposed in the darkroom, and a second image could be superimposed on the print. Then when the paper was developed both exposed images would appear in one picture.</p>

<p>Nowadays common practice is to shoot on a green screen and later proces the picture using what is commonly known as green screen technique to fuse with a background of your choice http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/add-any-green-screen-background-to-your-photos/.<br /> It's basically what's done in all modern spectacle fims like eg Harry Potter, the Avengers, Iron Man, Transformers etc. and also quite common in certain types of photography.http://www.photoanddj.com/GREEN-SCREEN-TECHNOLOGY.html</p>

<p>So as I said, nothing to do with portrait or fashion photography, more with digital manipulation and post processing</p>

<p>Paul is right, this post will get more response in the Digital Darkroom forum.<br>

I think what you need is to move the image into Photoshop, select the information you wish to keep and save it. Then open a 'New' document (under File at top left). Under Background Contents in the menu that opens, choose Transparent. Paste in your saved image. Then save that. You will have a new document of your subject on a transparent background.<br>

Using Photoshop requires time as there is quite a learning curve so be patient. Hundreds of tutorials exist online to help you. A 30 day trial version of Photoshop is available to download for free.</p>

<p>Hello Ram,</p>

<p>Normally for product photography and for jewelry you should use at least a white box (white cube or tent). This is cheap on ebay and will allow you to create the whitest background possible. If you still need with transparent then the only way possible is to manually remove your background and save it as .png file</p>

<p>Also, other techniques involve black cards on the sides of the jewelry so you still have a nice contrast on the edges of the pieces of jewelry.</p>

<p>Off course jewelry is not easy to remove the background to make it look good, you should carefully and precisely remove the entire background and preserve all the edges to keep it look good.</p>

<p>I can do it for you if you want:<br>

https://www.fiverr.com/supercavie/remove-the-background-of-your-photos</p>

<p>And offer you a free sample with no compromise so you can check if it is what you want.</p>

<p>Cheers.</p>

<p>Since your background is all white, I think you might have luck with the 'magic eraser' tool if you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (much cheaper) available:<br /> <a href="http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29770/quickly-remove-backgrounds-in-photoshop-using-the-magic-eraser/">http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29770/quickly-remove-backgrounds-in-photoshop-using-the-magic-eraser/</a></p>

• 5 years later...
Hey guys! Have you ever tried background remover AI tools online. Some are actually good. I have tried remove.bg but recently they got so slow and some results are not precise. Currently using Free Background Remover | Create Transparent Background. It pretty works for me but I want to try more. As much as I want to use photoshop, I need an easy and fast solution to remove background images. Any recommendation is appreciated.

In Photoshop press W for quick selection tool. Use Select Subject button for an automatic selection, use Select and Mask to refine your selection... Press ctrl + J to have a selected subject on the new layer. Remove Background layer by clicking it and pressing backspace. Save as .png file to have a transparent background. Sometimes Select Subject alone is enough for a precise selection..
  • Like 1

<p>For Ear's sake people, he's probably using JPEG. JPEG doesn't support transparency.</p>

+1. You can use jpeg 2000 or a few other formats. Then you simply select the white background and change to transparent, allowing for page text, color, graphics etc to be seen anywhere inside the framing without the restriction of a solid white frame.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

Newcomer Nicholas gets a nod for searching & posting a question in an archived thread. something that is often suggested here.

I suspect he is discussing a more involved process of background removal. A background that does not have a solid or simple background requiring more finessing.

Edited by inoneeye

n e y e

• 1 year later...