Edwin Smith

<p>Edwin Smith has been a favourite photographer of mine for a while now. Back a few decades when I was more into large format photography I came across his superb photos of UK cathedrals and churches. I have visited some of the locations of his shots to try to copy them but failed, in all cases, to achieve anything like the impact of his photos. Not especially surprising, but it showed me his just how good his grasp of light, shadow and composition was.<br /> Fairly recently a book was published by his widow, Olive Cook, with previously unpublished architecture shots. From memory, for most of his working life he used a half-plate Thornton-Pickard Ruby camera and only switched to a Linhof 5x4 when half plate film began to be difficult to find. <br /> An inspiring photographer for me too.<br /> Here is one of my 'tribute' shots to Edwin Smith, of the Chancel window at Tilty, in Essex. <br /> http://www.photo.net/photo/1868830<br /> It is OK, but it doesn't match Smith's photo of the same subject at all.</p>

<p>I was enlightened and really enjoyed the look at his work. II'll admit while I liked the multimedia presentation, I too found the music distracting! It was period intended etc. A instrumental mood music might have been better. The narrator was excellent for my taste! Thanks for the info on his camera of choice! I will look on line for more of his work! </p>