Leica M6: Best serials?

bjarni_m.

<p>I've been looking at second hand Leica M6's (non TTL) lately.</p>

<p>Some users are saying that some specific serials suffer from a sluggish light meter (not as precise as it should be), some specific serials suffer from a bad frame counter that probably will not last becasue plastic was used while some other serials are more likely to have viewfinder flare (the .72 model).</p>

<p><strong>1:</strong> Which serial/production year of the M6 should i go for if i want a second hand M6 that doesn't suffer from a sluggish light meter, a picture counter that will clutter and/or a viewfinder that flares?</p>

<p><strong>2:</strong> I've looked at a M6 with the serial number 24324xx which was made in 1998. Is it a good serial number/production year regarding the faults/flaws i've mentioned in [1]?</p>

<p><strong>3:</strong> Is the viewfinder more bright in a M6 that was made in 1998 than in a model that was made for example in 1988 or 1991?</p>

<p>In other words: Which serial and production year should i go for to get the best value for money to minimize the risk of getting a serial that's "infected" with all the above mentioned flaws? <strong>Which serial/production year is the most perfect (read less errors) of the M6?</strong></p>

<p>The logical course is to avoid the serial numbers that are associated with sluggish light meters and bad frame counters. But these cameras are hardly new, and -- except for those which have sat unused for all these years -- will have had problems corrected. As for finder flare, I'm afraid <em>all</em> M6s suffer from it: the finder design did not change over the period in which the model was manufactured. Many people can live with it, but I found my M6 unusable without the "MP upgrade" -- which I prefer to call a restoration as it puts back parts that were removed.</p>

<p>Independent of the serial number, those M6 bodies that actually suffered from the issues you mentioned and had them fixed seem to be the ones to go for. And the ones that have the MP-upgrade done won't suffer from the white-out flare issue. In addition, unless a CLA has been performed recently, you likely will have to get one done rather sooner than later.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For what it's worth, I have not had much trouble with finder flare on the M6. It's there but it's so infrequent that I do not recall the last time I experienced it. Mukul had a devil of a time with it though. I suspect that it impacts some users more than others because of physiological differences. I have an early M6 Classic, one of the Wetzlar models, and have not had a moments trouble with it. It's as perfect a M as I can imagine.</p>

<p>The early M6's had a problem with the light meter circuit. Most went back to Leica for repair. They can be identified by the word "Wetzlar" on top of the camera. (Not all "Wetzlars" had this problem.) As for the viewfinder the only one with that particular flare problem that is annoying is the M6ttl with the 0.85 viewfinder. It does flare quite a bit and at some point if upgraded to an MP viewfinder it will be corrected. If the M6 that you are looking at is engraved "Solms" then you should not have the problems that you are querying about.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Which serial/production year is the most perfect?" <strong><em>Bjarni M.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If there is such a thing.<br /> It's definitely safer to purchase the <strong>later</strong> serial numbers in the run, with the .72 viewfinder magnification.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"M6ttl with the 0.85 viewfinder. It does flare quite a bit and at some point if upgraded to an MP viewfinder it will be corrected" <em><strong>Steve B.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, but in my many installs of these <a href="/leica-rangefinders-forum/00YA0r">Leica OEM 3 piece kit</a>s, the flare issue <strong>isn't totally "corrected"</strong> and therefore fully up to the actual MP model in performance.<br /> The <strong>0.85</strong> viewfinders in particular, <strong>are the worst</strong> performers "postpartum". <br /> I 've characterized them as Voigtlander/Cosina like, and as a result, questionable if it's worth the added "kit" expense...</p>

<p>Hi Gus,</p>

<p>You bring up a point I'm very interested in. With my aging eyes I loved my old M3 viewfinder with it's 0.91 magnification, but I really need an M with a built in light meter.</p>

<p>I've been looking at M6 and M6TTL cameras with 0.85 viewfinders which cost quite a bit less than an MP which I would have to order A la Carte to get the 0.85. But are you saying the M6/M6TTL 0.85 viewfinders, even with the OEM MP modification, still flare quite a bit? And are you saying that a new MP 0.85 A la Carte would not?</p>

<p>Thanks Gus.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>I answered Tim from my business email:<br>

If you enjoyed the M3 experience, you just may be disappointed with the "modern" high mag solution. My recommendation is to if at all possible, try to get your hands on a 0.85 before spending good hard earned money. The new MP would certainly be better than the modified M6 units. This because there are other more recent internal RF improvements to assist with better performance. (More anti-flare coatings and paint, etc.)</p>

<p>Maybe visit a "Leica" store and discuss what are the remedies if you aren't fully satisfied with the ordered unit</p>