Miss The 300 PF

dan_brown4

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I received a courtesy call from a supervisor at NikonUSA service today. They explained that they are awaiting a resolution from Nikon Japan, which they thought would occur fairly soon ("within a few weeks"). Nikon offered to extend my warranty by the delay period, and also cover the shipping costs. I explained that my basic decision was to either request the lens be returned, or wait until the fix is available. Nikon said they would gladly sent the lens back, with a return shipping label so I could send it in again once the fix is in hand. They were a bit coy with specifics (understandable), but when I asked what that person would do it in my shoes, they said, I'd wait, it should be pretty soon.</p>

<p>So, I am good with all this. In the future, I won't be so quick with the trigger, both buying and returning.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Dan, do you have the name of that supervisor who called you on April 2? The lens should be back to you after two weeks. For these shipments, I always try to get a tracking number, unless Nikon still hasn't shipped it to you.</p>

<p>This is getting very annoying.</p>

<p>There is more development on the Fred Miranda thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1356575/3#lastmessage<br>

I believe Danner on that thread is Dan Brown. Obviously Nikon is well aware of this VR issue, and a solution is forthcoming. But unfortunately, Nikon doesn't acknowledge these problems in public until they have a firm solution. I don't think that is a good way to handle these things, but that seems to be Nikon's practice. Therefore, if it takes them a long time to develop a solution, you'll see silence from Nikon for a long time.</p>

<p>Nikon Europe has the Firmware Upgrade, here is a google translate copy of the Dutch website (https://nikoneurope-nl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64259):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thank you for choosing Nikon.<br /> Nikon offers a service to the firmware of the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f / 4E PF ED VR update. Details about this firmware below.<br /> Details of firmware update<br />We have found that if the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f / 4E PF ED VR lens used with the D800, D810 or D800E, images taken with a shutter speed of about 1/125 sec. while the VR function is enabled (NORMAL or SPORT) sometimes show visible blur.<br />To ensure that this occurs less often, we as a service to the firmware of your AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f / 4E PF ED VR update.<br />When cameras other than the D800, D800E and D810 are used, this firmware update is not necessary.<br /> Update the lens firmware<br />Users of the D800, D810 or D800E who worry about this problem, their objective may bring or send it to a Nikon service center, where the update lens firmware are free.<br /> Lenses recognize that the firmware is already updated the firmware of lenses with serial number 205101 or higher is already updated.<br /> * Depending on how the camera is held during the shooting or the shooting conditions can still images are blurred even when the lens firmware is updated.<br />Service Requests<br />For questions regarding this matter, contact your nearest Nikon service center or Image file a return request for free service.<br /> For further assistance, contact the customer support from Nikon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Overnight? Nikon does try to make Dan happy.</p>

<p>I really wish Nikon had better communications with their customers. E.g. they could have told Dan that they needed to keep the lens for a few more days, once they found out that the firmware fix would be available shortly so that it wouldn't make sense to ship the un-repeared lens back to Dan in the mean time, and earlier there was no communication for about a month. Where there is no communication, it generates anxiety.</p>

<p>Otherwise, I think Nikon has done a reasonable job.</p>

<p>Dan, I am curious about how VR works at 1/125sec on a non-D800/D810 body, such as the Df.</p>

<p>Shun, yes, Nikon could do a bit better on communications, but at this moment, I'm feeling pretty happy. I appreciate that fact the Nikon spent the money on overnight with AM delivery. The lens left Wilshire Blvd at 5:38 PM and arrived here (Fort Worth) just after 8AM. That kind of service is expensive.</p>

<p>I will get around to shooting this weekend, and mostly, that will be with the Df. But, I am not going to do a rigorous test procedure, rather just take some photographs I want to take and look at how they come out. </p>

<p>The more experience I get, the less I like rigorous tests. They usually reveal something to criticize, and usually it matters very little to everyday photographs, so it's tends to be a downer for me (and a waste of time).</p>