Underwater camera gear

kathlyn_gadd

<p>Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I couldn't find a forum for underwater photography? <br>

I have a Canon A640 Powershot with Ikelite housing that I have used for dive photography (I'm a warm water wuss and live in the UK so it hasn't seen heavy usage). The camera has now developed a fault - the power won't stay on even for a few seconds but the batteries, contacts, microswitch on the battery closure etc are all fine. I am seeing if I can get it repaired but the initial quotes just for taking a look are more than the camera is worth (but for having the rather expensive housing it would make sense just to ditch the camera). I guess the first question (which is probably a Canon equipment que) is - has anyone come across this fault and if so is it easy to fix?<br>

If I can't get the camera working my next question is - do I replace with another A640 from ebay as there still seem to be a few used models about. Alternatively do I replace with something else? The 'waterproof' compact cameras seem to be only good to a few metres so definitely no good for diving. I also have a Canon 550D / Rebel T2i (with 18-55 and 50mm lenses)...and a 6D (but wouldn't want to take the latter under water!) The ikelites for the 550D are very expensive ($1600) so out of my price range but I came across a Meikon housing for $440 which - if it works - would seems better option. I have never heard of this make - are they ok?<br>

Any other suggestions for a post A640 strategy?</p>

<p>My first place to investigate would be the weakest link and that is the battery. Batteries usually have to be tested under some type of load - both voltage and current. Like your car battery, testing the voltage could be meaningless without a load. What size (capacity) and how old is your battery? Age and physical size along with 'proper' charging method (how often you charge) the battery should be major considerations before moving on.</p>

<p>I'd say Gerald is right, trying a new battery would be the first thing to do. That might be the problem. If that isn't the problem, then the simplest thing would be to get another used A640 off eBay or KEH.</p>

<p>Depending on how deep you dive, you might be able to use an underwater P&S. The latest generation can go pretty deep. The Canon D30 is rated to 81 feet, the Nikon AW130 is rated to 100 feet.</p>

<p>First off, I hope you can find a cheap fix and continue to use gear that you like and are comfortable with!</p>

<p>If not, there are a lot of options (way too many) and as you've already noticed - expensive! FWIW, I found a full ikelite housing, dome port and a few port extention tubes for Can 5DMKII for $600 used on scubaboard's for sale column. I have been diving with it for years now with no issues. I now do all maintenance myself. I do purchase additional insurance however each year I lower the amount as the camera body devalues.</p>

<p>Another way to think about it is that there are some people who have a lot of $$$$ and can afford to buy the latest cameras and housings and then sell it all again in a few years. I don't know if anything drops in value faster than underwater camera gear. So the point I am making here is to look for used gear on scubaboard's forum and there is also a underwater photography forum that should have classified adds.</p>

<p>As for your T2i, I think it is a great UW camera! If you flood it you are out about $275 for the body and whatever the lens will cost you (not bad compared to a $3000 body). It focuses faster than any point and shoot, does great in low light and is fast.</p>

<p>The DSLR lens may be a more difficult subject. A lot of people swear by the Canon EF-S 60mm macro for underwater photography on a crop body. Its a great fit. But you're gonna want to add a strobe. For anything other than macro, you typically want a really, really, really wide angle (think 10mm or even 8mm) on a crop body. You will be able to be incredibly close to the subject (which is optimal) and it is great for all the non-macro shots. I dive with a 14mm Rokinon wide angle on the full frame camera and it has worked out great. I have to preset the aperture ahead of time but that's okay. Then focus to hyperfocal and shoot away.</p>

<p>If I could start over again today I think smaller would be better. The Sony RX100ii seems to be very popular with a f2.8 lens, you can zoom, its pretty fast, etc. Not cheap but definitely not like 5D3 or D810 or A7R prices.</p>

<p> </p>