Is RAID the way to go?

Seems simple to buy a pcie raid controller and hook up a couple 4tb red drives.

But layers of defense would be a nas running on Unix and protected from viruses/spyware/malware

that the OS would otherwise make your internal Windows raid vulnerable to.

Internal raid 1 or 5 is also another duty for the OS and cpu when I'd rather them be busy with Lr?

<p>I don't see adding a pcie card and going with two internal hard drives on raid 1 inside my computer as simpler, or safer, than a two bay external nas. I've done raid 0 for years on a few computers and I know first hand that with a single windows or bios update and suddenly you're in there tweaking things again to get your raid up and going. And to have your nas on Windows or osx? No thank you. I love having my nas on Unix and plugged into my router. It suits me much better than having all those drives and data stuffed into my Corsair 500 and wish I had done a nas box much sooner than now</p>

<blockquote>

<p>... but make sure before buying that the NAS these large disks are meant to be used in can handle them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Funny you mention that. Great advice. I bought my 1515 or whatever it is and the Synolgy FAQ page says that you can use up to 3Tb drives so that's what I went with... 5 x 3TB. Then the user forums at Synolgy are confirming that people are using the newer 6TB red drives in the older nas just fine. I wish I had started with 3 x 6TB red drives and then just filled the last two bays with 6TB drives when when I needed. Oh well. At least you can daisy chain these nas boxes.</p>

<p> </p>

It's a matter, isn't it, of drive storage geometry and adressing method and the NAS firmware's ability to handle that. If i remember this correctly, the step from 4 to 6 TB brought a not insignificant change in that. Firmware updates however may keep a particular NAS working with these changes and ever increasing disk capacities.<br>But it's of course a good idea to let someone else test first, follow the results on user forums, and only invest in things you know will work.<br><br>Why daisy chain? Just add the other NAS as a stand alone.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Raid is great for day to day local storage. It protects against hardware failure.<br>

It doesn't protect against accidental deletion or malware ransom encryption of local data not to mention a fire, theft, storm that takes your storage away.<br>

I'm using cloud storage but it syncs so I can lose that. I also have a portable drive that I take with me when I leave the house but I might forget one day and that be the wrong day.<br>

I'd love to find a write once cloud storage solution where it journals and keeps all changes. I don't need to get my data back quickly since I'd only access it if I lost my local data.</p>

<p> </p>