Weekly Post-Processing Challenge - January 17, 2015

<p>Anyone willing to post next week's image, please reply here or drop me a line. Thanks again to Karl for this week's image. Just a reminder that the challenge doesn't have to present a specific problem, but can simply be an image you'd like to see how others might process.</p>

<p>Anthony,</p>

<p>First, create two versions of a shot. One should be 700 pixels on the long end and one at least 1500 on the long end. When you submit a post, you are then taken to a screen where you can upload a shot. All you have to do is browse to the folder on your hard drive where the picture exists, and select the 700 pixel version. That will post in-line. Then create another response to the thread and submit it, and this time upload the larger version. It will not post in-line, but will post as a link that the participants can then download and work on.</p>

<p>If you want to try it first, go to the 'Test Postings' forum here and do it there. That's a good place to play when you aren't familiar with exactly how to do stuff out here. Give a yell if you need help, or perhaps someone else will chime in with another method (I do know of other methods to post a shot in line, but this one is the easiest to explain, I think).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It was shot with the Olympus E- M1 and the new 40-150 mm 1:2,8 lens towards the setting sun.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I didn't say so Anders, Karl did.</p>

<p>And back to Anthony, I was describing how to post the challenge, but if you want to post an edit to the challenge, just do what I described for the smaller (700 pixel) shot.</p>

Dear all who participated in this WPPC,

Thank you all for your contributions. I find this exercise very instructive and inspiring and the visits of the UFO and the

bats added some fun to the story.

It is interesting to see the variety of results with diverse moods, created by using different programs and individual

processing techniques, based on one original file.

I posterd this photo because I found it very difficult to capture and reproduce the extraordinary scene we witnessed on

this New Year's Eve over the snowy hills of Emmental, towards the setting sun. The photo shows a view over the ridges

of the Napf Mountain, with summer pasture land on the top of the hills and forests on the slopes. It is the area where

initially the famous Emmental Cheese comes from. Single linden trees on top of the hills are a cultural speciality of this

very traditional region. Many spooky tales are told about this secluded area with isolated farms and dark forests, where

centuries ago the Anabaptists sought refuge. Recently the once extinct lynx started resettling in this area.

In my view, the settings of the original photo were too dark. There is plenty of space towards a brighter shot. Under this

conditions I should have have used the HDR function producing 3 to 5 brighter and darker frames. Should have... However with the RAW

file it is possible to correct it without loosing too much of its quality. Unfortunately it is not possible here to post the RAW

files.

In the photo initially processed by me and then improved by Peter Krenek, I used Lightroom to make the snow on the

trees visible and to control the light of the sun and the clouds. The clarity and the noise reduction tools and the Silver Efex

Pro NIK Filter were crucial to get more or less what I wanted. Still the real spectacle was far beyond what can be depicted

in a photo.

I am looking forward for the next WPPC. Karl