70-300 VR AF-S defective

anastasia_korochanskaya

<p>Hi guys! I'm new to my DSLR ( Nikon D5300) and it is my first DSLR; a dream of many years! I have been out shooting and learning obsessively since I first got it a few months ago for a big trip I am taking to Africa at the beginning of April. I decided I wanted to do a small upgrade to my kit 55-300mm dx lens that came with my camera. I was already finding the slow auto focus a bit frustrating and that was the biggest selling point for me in what I read about the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR lens. I thought I would pick up a used copy on ebay and sell my almost brand new 55-300 to make up for most of the cost.<br /><br />Unfortunately, I think the lens I picked up is defective. It was sold in "as new" condition and the seller claimed it was only used for 4 hours. I suspected the latter was just a bit of a fib to help sell the lens but thought the unit would still be ok.<br>

So here's my problem:<br /><br />When I turn on the camera with the 70-300VR attached I hear 3 thunks inside the lens and the image in the viewfinder jitters a bit with each thunk. This happens every time I turn the camera on regardless of whether VR is toggled to the on or off position, active or normal. I also can't seem to see any perceptible difference between shots made with VR activated versus it off (equal number of blurred/crisp images). I also don't hear anything beyond what I assume is the auto focus. After the initial thunks, the vr doesn't seem to make any sound. However, sometimes I still get 3 mechanical thunks and accompanying jitters in the viewfinder before the image settles. Again this seems to happen randomly whether the VR is toggled on or off. Not even sure that is the VR but my 55-300 certainly never made any sounds like this and it is the only other lens I can compare this one with.<br /><br />I read this lens was noisier than other VR lenses and that certainly holds true when compared to my 55-300. But also being a relative N00b to photography, I am not certain if this is normal for this lens or whether in fact I got a defective one. The lens has a few cosmetic dings and wear to the lettering but was hoping that was just normal for a used lens (my second used lens, the first being a rokinon 14mm I got off craigslist which is flawless)<br /><br />So my question to those that have the lens. Does it sound like something in the lens is defective (vr or otherwise)? Should VR have any particular sound to it when it is operating (ie when I half depress the shutter)? I really don't know how this lens should sound and act and I need to figure out pretty quick so I can file a dispute with the buyer about this lens before my trip. I'd be pretty upset about hauling a defective lens on a trip of a lifetime! I should mention, the auto focus functions marvelously and I would definitely jump at getting another lens (but probably new this time as I also read this lens seems to have a high incidence of VR failure)<br /><br />Also hello to you all! I hope to hound these forums as I try to beef up my know-how! I've already come across a lot of helpful threads on this forum in my general searches! Thank you in advance for any advice anyone can offer C:.</p>

<p>Anastasia, welcome to the forum! I don't have the 70-300mm lens, but I just tried my 70-200mm lens on the D3S body for comparison. When simply turning the camera on I don't hear any noise at all from the VR. With VR on I hear the normal 'clunking" noise you describe when I depress the focus button, but with VR off it is again silent. What you describe doesn't sound normal to me, but I would wait for someone with the 70-300mm VR lens to reply just to be sure. I also wouldn't expect wear to the lettering on a lens that had only been used for 4 hours (at least normal usage). Fortunately you have time to replace the lens prior to your trip if it is indeed defective. </p>

<p><em>"The lens has a few cosmetic dings and wear to the lettering"</em><br>

<br>

If the lens was only used for a few hours, this would not be the case. Return it.<br>

<br>

I had this lens and the VR did fail. I think it cost $150 to fix. I sold the lens after it was repaired but do remember that one of the symptoms was a jittery viewfinder. The thunks you describe are also not normal. Return it.</p>