D810 or D750 for Birth Photography

r._bond

<p>I know some may take offense to this, but perhaps your extreme low light focus issues are lens related - just curious, have you tested your AF with your Nikon lenses vs your Sigma and Tamron? Based on my experience with my D3 (which has 'lesser' AF abilities than Nikon's newest) and fast aperture Nikon lenses, I have no problem obtaining accurate AF even in near total darkness with my Nikon D3 and my Nikon lenses - I have no third party lenses to compare with, but ultimately it appears there are differences and there could even possibly be some incompatibilities.</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p><< it makes more sense to use a fast aperture prime (f1.4/f1.8) rather than a zoom which is f2.8.>></p>

<p>I've heard that anything brighter than f2.8 really doesn't help with modern AF systems. Anyone else heard that?</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I don't know but it is certainly worth some testing on your end. All I can tell you is that any of Nikon's recent higher end bodies that have the Multicam 3500 AF module should AF in near total darkness with a fast aperture lens.</p>

<p>When people rave about lenses it usually mean the lenses offer a good balance between sharpness and price. What we are talking here is available light for the camera AF system to work with.<br>

I would really recommend the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and 28mm f/1.8. For their price they are terrific. The new Nikon 20mm f/1.8 is getting for great feedback too but that might be too wide for your needs. And of course if your budget allows you have the f/1.4 series (35mm and 24mm).<br>

Over brands may also have offerings in this range but I am not familiar with them.<br>

Keep in mind that a f/1.8 lens gathers 2.5 times more light than a f/2.8 zoom, and a f/1.4 four times as much.</p>

<p>Would shutter noise really be an issue? My wife was by far the noisiest thing in the delivery room when our daughter was born!<br>

I didn't take any photos, I was far too distracted to even think of using a camera, and anyway I'm sure my hands would have been shaking too much to get even a halfway sharp picture.</p>

<p>R.J. The OP's application is perfect for center point focus and recompose type of photography, which is what I use 95% of the time. No need for focus tracking and all that, as the babies don't shoot out that fast (been through two of these), LOL. The Df will work fine, and in a pinch he could grab the manual focus ring and twist.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've heard that anything brighter than f2.8 really doesn't help with modern AF systems. Anyone else heard that?<br>

any of Nikon's recent higher end bodies that have the Multicam 3500 AF module should AF in near total darkness with a fast aperture lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>ironically, i've had the opposite thing happen: not being able to achieve consistent focus with nikon OEM 24-70 and 70-200 lenses, in dimly-lit situations where my sigma 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm f/1.4 lenses do a better job. i recently shot a two-night run by alternative jazz singer Jose James. the first night, i used the sigma 35 and 85. the second night, i used the 70-200. all with a D3s, which has the multi-cam 3500 AF system. my non-scientific field test achieved more consistent results with the sigma glass shooting from f/2-2.2 than the nikon glass at 2.8-3.2, although the stage lighting and angle of shooting varied (which is why the test is non-scientific). i've also shot extensively with my sigma 50/1.4 in those situations, usually at f/2-2.2, and never had the focus issues i did with the nikon zooms. </p><div>00crxI-551553884.jpg.70e5b6898ecc5cef7ad576855fbe9506.jpg</div>

<p>to answer the OP's question, though, i'm not sure i would swap out the 810 for the 750, based on one intended use. there are so many other variables besides body and lens choice that i would try to tweak settings and eliminate any possibility of user error before making such a drastic move. you could also try shooting the 810 at a smaller resolution and see if that has any effect on hi-ISO capabilities. also, no guarantee the 750 will be better at high-ISO; if you want a dedicated hi-ISO machine with the better AF module, D3s, D4, and D4s are the way to go.</p>

<p>I'll point this out again: the primary and probably the only reason to return the D810 for a D750 in the OP's case is to save $1000. While the D750's AF system is rated a bit higher for low-light situations, I seriously doubt that it is going to make any significant difference. Additionally, I don't think any hospital room is going to be that dark. The doctors and nurses need sufficient illumination to do their job. As long as the OP uses f1.4, f1.8 lenses with modern DSLRs, it should be fine. If there are still issues, I would look into technique and AF fine tune.</p>

<p>BTW, it was in the late 1990's when I heard that some people would video tape (or in these days video record, as no tape is involved any more) births. Therefore, it is not all that new a concept, but I still think that it is weird today as it was in the last century. And I doubt that anybody will make huge prints from those occasions from 36MP DSLRs and hang them in their living room.</p>

You would be surprised at how dark it can be in the delivery room. Some moms want it pretty dim at times. I'm not just shooting the

actual birth but the moments leading it to it at times. I've got to tell the story of the labor.

In sure both cameras are perfectly capable for this style of photography. I also shoot families and children, both indoor lifestyle shoots

and outside with lots of light. Again, both cameras would do a perfect job. However, im just trying to find out if there is any advantage of

having the d810 over the 750? each canera is capable of big prints and shooting in low light.

<blockquote>

<p> im just trying to find out if there is any advantage of having the d810 over the 750? each canera is capable of big prints and shooting in low light.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>the 810's shutter is rated to 200k and has more full-featured video (although not the tilt-screen LCD). plus higher resolution. if those features dont add up to $1000 to you, then by all means get a d750 and put the extra cash toward a 20/1.8.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What exactly is this "more full-featured video" the D810 has over the D750?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>ha, i take that back. <a href="http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o/JGe86qtuU0lbmaILrUg6yrtcQHU/PDF/HD-SLR_Features_Guide_en.pdf">looks like</a> the features are exactly the same, except the 810 can do video ISO down to 64 instead of 200. in that case, i would probably go for the tilt-screen option. </p>

<p>Well. I`m so used to the AF-ON button. The D750 lacks it.<br>

(But on the other hand, the D750 is a noticeable smaller body, something I have always missed on my digital DSLRs). Again, I`d check <em>all</em> the features, to see if there is another thing I could miss on the D750. Read both user`s manuals. If after that, both cameras are right for you, ok, trade it and save $1000.</p>

<p>About the light, we`re talking about photography, isn`t it? I don`t see too much sense asking for dim light where there is a photographer trying to make photos. If the mom doesn`t want light, you`ll need 1. to shoot IR, or 2. to leave it for another day... :)</p>

<p>I see far more work in the "normal" photography or portraiture after the birth. A couple photos with some blood or grease woluld be nice for some, but as Shun says, I wonder how many people will want it larger than 4x6". What for sure will be demanded is a nice, bright, big, colourful image of a recovered mom with a rosy (not yellowish) baby in her arms.</p>

<p> </p>

You can program another button to do AF-ON and one of them is the AE-L/AF-L button. The AE-L or AF-L/AE-L function can be moved to e.g.the preview button, and so you can access both controls independently and at the same time, which you cannot easily do if they are side by side (without setting the AF-L to hold which is a great way to forget it locked). Note that even the D4s doesn't have two buttons in that area - it just has one, labeled AF-ON (but no doubt it too can be reprogrammed to do other things). I just don't see why this is an issue that is frequently brought up.

i use my cameras for just taking pictures not video, do video specs won't help me make a decision. I guess I need to find someone who

has used both and can compare how the 2 cameras handle noise at ISO 1600-4000 or so, if the 750 layout is bothersome, how loud the

750 shutter is, and if the 750 is really faster for xhildren photography in practice. I've been reading how the 750 has a smaller buffer and

even though it has more fps, the buffer fills up faster and can lag.

Honestly, I think my best bet is to rent the 750 and just hold it in my hands and compare them. No local shops carry the 750 unfortunately

so I'm not sure spending $200 just to rent for a few days is a smart decision or not.

<blockquote>

<p>Just curious - what camera did you use before you bought the d810?</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />The OP had a D7000 and then a D600, which she had problems with focusing: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00c3Jd</p>

<p>The D750 is essentially a D600/D610 with an improved AF module + articulated LCD and a few technological updates. The controls are very similar to those on the D600 and D7000.</p>

<p>What surprised me a bit is that Nikon introduced the D810 (June) and then D750 (September) is fairly quick succession. The D750 is now taking some market share from the still very new D810, which is the topic in this discussion. I thought an update to the DX-format D7100 would have been more suitable for Photokina. Back in 2012, the D800 and D600 were separated by more than half a year.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The D750 is now taking some market share from the still very new D810, which is the topic in this discussion. I thought an update to the DX-format D7100 would have been more suitable for Photokina. Back in 2012, the D800 and D600 were separated by more than half a year.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>the 810 is an update of the 800 which addresses some of the issues with it. the 750 addresses some of the issues with the 600/610, namely that the d7100, which is less expensive, had a better AF system. Photokina would have been a great time for Nikon to introduce a d300s follow-up and some new high-end DX lenses. Obviously, that didn't happen. Meanwhile, Samsung and Fuji have poised themselves to take advantage of the missing high-end DX gap with both bodies and lenses.<br>

<br>

Nikon is in an interesting position currently with their FX lineup: the 750 introduction shows that the midrange FX model slot is important to them, to the point where they are willing to risk losing 810 sales. obviously, a lower-priced camera has the potential to sell in higher volumes than a $3000 model. they are also addressing the fact that 36mp is overkill for some applications. the d750 is more "pro" than the 600/610, but still has 1/200 x-sync, which is puzzling at that price point.<br>

<br>

the OP's situation points out the need for a high-ISO body with the best AF module, which unfortunately, the Df wasn't -- which means you're either looking at a used D3s or a d4/d4s -- the latter two are priced out of reach for most folks, unfortunately. i'd still like to see the D4 sensor in a smaller body, at a price point in-between the 750 and 600. but i'm not sure that Nikon is listening to me.</p>

I think Nikon is not too concerned about losing high end camera sales in this case of the FX market; they just want to get a good market share in FX and approach this by giving users options in terms of feature sets, body sizes, control layouts etc. Even if the camera people buy (i.e. D750) is less expensive than the top model, they'll still want to buy lenses, and

they might even spend the difference between D810 and D750 prices in lenses. Anyway the D810 has 1/250s sync, can

do 25MP at 6fps with much larger buffer than the D750, the D810 is quieter, higher resolution, has EFCS, and so on. There are enough

differences so that enough people will buy the D810. In any case the D800/E already sold very well so Nikon is probably not worried about that. The D750 may have been accelerated in development to have something new at Photokina that has wide appeal.

With respect to DX, Nikon did introduce the 20/1.8 which is lightweight enough for use as a DX wide angle for

documentary photography, travel, family photography. And it doesn't lock doors from the photographer going to FX in the

future, or using both. On FX it plays a different role (architecture, landscape, environmental portrait with effect). So, both systems are improving from the point of view of lens options that users have. The D7000

was introduced in 2010, the D7100 in 2013, so if this is the interval of updates, then the D7200 should come out in

summer 2015. Maybe a D400 along with the D5 with a new high speed processing architecture by the end of 2015.