How annoying is this?

sandy_sorlien

Don't you just love subject lines like this one?

I don't. Please, everybody, put more descriptive subject lines on your

posts. Since the LF Forum has moved to this site, there has been a

dramatic increase in vague questions like "Am I an idiot?" or "Anybody

ever have this happen?" These are, of course, irresistible to the

curious (and curiously idle) websurfer, but frankly it would be a much

more efficent use of everyone's time if we could narrow down the realm

of inquiry just a bit more specifically. Thank you.

Cheers,

Sandy

That kind of a question line is written as a tease to draw you in (they're unresistable), and are the brain child of insensitive idiots or baits. Even your title drew me in like a magnet in an iron factory.

Such titles as this can not be resisted:

"My god, I don't believe this!"

"It's a mystery. Please help."

"An unbelievable price!"

"Look at this body!"

"I'm going to lose my home if I don't get the lighting right. Please help. I have only 2 hours before the wedding?"

"What can I do if I drop my Leica M7 in the ocean and there's something moving inside the lens?"

"What film should I use for my mother's wedding? Also, and sorry to ask, give me some hints on how to do this wedding thing? It starts in one hour.

"Help!" (That will draw anyone in!)

"My girlfriend's sister is very affectionate and has asked me to do some nude photos of her. Should I be concerned?"

*****Anyone have any other irresistable forum questions?*****

Todd, How about:

'Krispy Kreme is giving out Deardorffs to everyone who buys a dozen'

'Tri-X developing times in Jack Daniels'

'Jimmy Hoffa negs found in old film holders bought on *b*y'

'Pyro cures baldness'

'Moped Ad features LF Photographer'

'Luminosity achieved by strategic positioning radioactive lenses in the landscape'

and my favorite: 'Kodak brings back 8x10 in 25 sheet boxes'

---------------Cheers!

Hey...let me get: "up close and personal" for a moment. I just retired from 32 years of teaching 5th graders (10 years old). The change was devastating. I'm just coming out of an expected transitional depression and I'm now looking for new directions and a bit of humour in my life. If I get silly, slap my hand! ;>)

I put this same topic of "question-baits" up on the Leica Forum....take a look and add your thoughts.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004MTQ

While we're so gently prodding everyone to use more descriptive subject lines, how about we teach 'em a thing or two about the (large format) photography vernacular? Specifically:<br><br>

1. the word "lens" is spelled L-E-N-S. There is no second "E" on the end of the word, i.e. "lense" is not a word;<br><br>

2. that sheet of glass on the back of your camera is called a ground glass, not a focusing screen;<br><br>

3. spelling again...Goerz is not spelled G-O-E-R-T-Z;<br><br>

4. and on an unrelated note, Jethro Tull is not an excellent flautist; Ian Anderson is.

<i>In response to While we're so gently prodding everyone to use more descriptive subject lines, how about we teach 'em a thing or two about the (large format) photography vernacular? </i>

<p>

This may surprise some people but there are often different ways to spell certain words. For the record, not all the words in the English language follow the American dictionary. <p>

Check the <A HREF="http://www.m-w.com/home.htm">dictionary here</A> and please search for the word <b>lense</b>. You will see that this indeed is a word with the correct spelling. <p>

<p>

Perhaps there are others words like this ? (Gosh I hope I did not musspell any words here :>)) )<p>

Regards

Chad �

I�m afraid you�re wrong about �lense�. I see them all the time on cameras that have waste-level finders. It goes without saying that they also have shudder sink.

I�ll be happy to clear up any further confusion.

Jorge:

The illustrious Mr. Anderson is indeed a Flautist:

Kenneth G. Wilson (1923�). The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993.

flutist, flautist (nn.)

A flutist (pronounced FLOOT-ist) is a person who plays the flute; flautist occurs less frequently and means the same thing, but it is pronounced so that the first syllable rhymes with either tout or taut.

Regards,

Don

I can find nowhere in the English speaking world where "lense" is a valid word (checked UK, US, Canada and Oz dictionaries) - if seen on a Japanese made lens, it was presumably engraved by the same people who write all those user manuals - "please to enter whole of hole in left upper under screw with careful insight"...

As for flute players, US English spelling tends to be more phonetic - dropping "silent" letters and generally ignoring the original Latin or Greek origins of the word that is usualy reflected in the original spelling - probably as a result of all those non-English speaking immigrants...

* This post has been bought to you courtesy of the Public Information Network *

> I suppose its a consequence of english's germanic roots.

>

> Linse, singular. Linsen, plural. If, however, we wanted to be consistent

> (silly, silly, me), we'd say and write lense, lensen instead of

> lens, lenses.

I don't think it has anything to do with German roots of English. I always understood it dated from the 16th or 17thC and is drawn from the Latin lens/lentis for lentil (as in the little bean like thing) due to the shape - hence lenticular etc

I've also seen the variant lense in the past

Being one to relish any opportunity to delve into the Shorter

Oxford I embarked upon a quest for "Lense" .....

Lots about lentils and glass and plastic and eyes and even

rocks but, lo and behold, not a dickie-bird about Lense.

WG

PS: (For non-English English speakers 'dickie-bird' rhyming

slang for 'word'.)