Can not update Lightroom 4

<p>I've recently purchased a Nikon D610 and had taken some test shots in the raw format. I imported the images into LR version 4.3 but got an error message that the raw files weren't supported in the current version and suggested checking for an upgrade. I downloaded version 4.4 and attempted to install it. It got through a good part of the installation process until it came to this error message:<br>

"Error 1714. The older version of Lightroom 4.4 64 bit can not be removed. Contact your technical support group."<br>

I tried a second time but this time by right clicking on the installer and choosing "Run as Administrator" but to no avail.<br>

My OS is Windows Vista 64 bit.<br>

Thank you for any suggestions.</p>

<p>Did you try converting to DNG using the free Adobe DNG converter first? Not sure what version supports a D610 natively but if you convert to DNG, you’ll be all set (unless you want to upgrade to LR5.X).</p>

<p>http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Call Adobe support and if necessary let them come in on your computer remotely to correct it. I spent an hour with them just two days ago in order to upgrade Premier Pro from the 7.x to 8.x version. Apparently they have issues with software based upgrades. My upgrade would not have happened without their support, and I've been doing IT for 28 years. Sometimes it's better to let them assist than waste your time (and sanity). </p>

<p>I gladly join the technical support group :-). You have two problems, I can't help you with the LR upgrade problem, the suggestion to call Adobe seems to be a good one but this will only upgrade your LR version, it will not add D610 support. This requires a more recent version of Adobe Camera RAW, which is not supported by LR4. I have the same problem with my girlfriend's Canon EOS 70D. I convert these files with Adobe DNG converter to DNG, these files are handled by LR4 without a problem. So the DNG converter is the way to go. Alternatively you can use the proprietary Nikon software.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses everyone. So it seems NEF files from the D610 aren't supported in LR 4 even with the upgrade to 4.4? Right now I'm holding off on upgrading to LR 5 because I have no intention at the moment of switching to Windows 7. I went ahead and downloaded Abobe Dng Converter and will play around with it as time allows.<br>

I also have the Nikon Software which came with the camera and will give that a try. </p>

• 4 weeks later...