Nikon F2 S + DP-2 right battery

set_cookie

<p>Hello Forum,<br>

i am happy to be here. i would like to reanimate an F2 with Photomic DP-2 Finder. The battery does illuminated the top indicator (very low red light though but hardly visible) and also i can see the exposure signal lights through the viewfinder when lever is pulled out. The problem: the exposure signal lights do not change regardless of aperture and shutter speed i select and change.<br>

so reading about the battery issue i wonder if the battery i have is the right one and correctly working. its a Duracell DL1/3N 3V. may it be a problem of the battery or possible damaged exposure meter. any thoughts?<br>

thanks</p>

<p>The 1/3N 3v Lithium battery is correct. The F2 will also take 2x SR44/AG13 Silver-Oxide 1.5v cells. Alkaline cells are also available in that size, but I don't recommended them due to their tendency to leak and short working life.</p>

<p>What lens(es) are you using on the F2 S? The only lenses that will couple with the F2 S finder are those with "ears". If the ears (coupler tines) are missing then the finder won't be able to read the lens aperture. Also make sure that the coupler lug on the finder hasn't been parked at the far right - looking from front - of the finder where it can't couple.</p>

<p>The manual relating to the DP-2 finder can be found here: http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_f2s_finder_dp-2.pdf</p>

<p>Changing the shutter speed should alter the finder reading, but again you need to check that the small pin that couples the finder to the camera body has engaged properly. A common problem with the DP-X series finders was a dirty or worn resistor track, or worn/broken cogs in the train that turns the track. Unfortunately I believe parts are no longer available for repair of any Photomic finder, but if the resistor track is just dirty then it can often be fully revived by careful cleaning and/or use of contact cleaning fluid.</p>

<p>If all else fails: My advice would be to look for a later DP-11 or DP-12 finder with Ai coupling. Apart from being a bit less old, they allow for coupling with any Ai, Ai-S, AF or AF-D lens (but not G series) without doing the "Nikon Shuffle" to connect the lens' tines with the meter coupling prong.</p>

<p>its a Nikon 28-45mm 1:45 174048 lens which has the "ears" and its properly locked so i guess it could be the resistor problem which i have also read about before. i will try to clean it than.<br>

thanks for your help - explanation and the manual of course. hope i can review the viewfinder ...</p>

<p>Getting into the finder requires the leather cloth to be removed IIRC. Be very careful if cleaning the resistor track. It's a printed carbon track that can fairly easily be rubbed away. Don't use anything more abrasive than a gently applied cotton bud (Q-tip) when cleaning it. Also be careful with any aerosol contact cleaner fluid. That stuff gets everywhere if you let it.</p>

<p>There's a repair manual for the DP-1 here: http://www.street-photo.fr/fr/materiel/31/58</p>

<p>Early versions of finder used a cord and pulley system to transfer the rotary action of the shutter knob to the variable resistor. So be prepared for some delicate work. Good luck!</p>

<p>hi guys, your help is really great. so i opened the view finder from front and basically just took away the front cover to reveal the mechanical parts. i played around with the cog wheel of both aperture and shutter speed and what do you know i can see the +- signal lights flickering now even to a point i get a right exposure shown. so possibly its just a calibration or mechanical issues where the aperture wheel was only out of range. im asking myself now if i just inserted the lens wrong which seems unlikely? but @Christoper your comment about the twist makes me wonder though - maybe i have missed that. can you elaborate. </p>