battery problems with Pentax istDL

Mike Gammill

<p>I generally use AA alkalines to power this camera, but sometimes, especially with Ravovac alkalines the dead battery indicator appears and the camera won't operate. I can remove the batteries and reinsert them and it worked. A few days ago, this happed and even new batteries (Lithium Energizers) will not power the camera. Battery holder issue or electronic? Anyone have this problem? Thanks.</p>

<p>I never used nonrechargeables in my Pentaxes. - I recall them being picky with NiCds which they decalered "too empty" although these still worked fine in flashguns and such.<br>

I would suspect the battery compartment and whipe it with an alcohol soaked q-tip or that kind of glas fiber brush used for battling rust on a car's body.<br>

While the self discharge rate of conventional high capacity NiMhs is vexing Sanyo Eneloop work very well for cameras in glove compartment exile (i.e. "used once in a blue moon"). - I can really recommend these as an alternative to disposable batteries. - High capacity NiMhs only make sense if you are recharge disciplined & machine gunning events on a regular base, but I'd still rather pack more Eneloops for such.<br>

To be sure about battery compartment vs circuit issues maybe get a matching plug from an electronics store and borrow an external PSU from a ham Radio enthusiast to check if the camera is working with these. - The radio freaks are the only group very likely to own something capable of producing the 6.5V demanded by Pentax. - They don't use 6.5V there but a lot of their PSUs can get dialed down that far and still deliver a few Ampere.</p>

<p>Mike, I generally had NO luck using alkalines in my *ist DL. Rechargeables were ok, but I rarely got more than 150 shots from a set. So I switched to Lithiums completely.<br>

<br />The Lithiums are great and really lasted a long time. The only "gotcha" was when putting a fresh set into the camera. I don't know what was happening exactly, but it seemed like the Lithiums needed to be used a bit to "start them up." When first put in, they would often show low-battery. But shooting five or ten frames with flash, and waiting a bit, the Lithiums would "power up" and be good to go for the long term.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...