OMD EM1 Peaking or Focus Assist with Adapted Nikon Lens

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>This question may have been asked before however I could not find it in a search, so apologies if it had .. moreover the Oly manual is a little cryptic about this ..<br>

I have an adapter connecting a 500mm Nikon lens to the OMD EM-1, the question I have is : Is it possible to activate either the focus peaking capability of the camera or the zoom (manual focus assist) capability in this configuration ... I'm aware these features activate automatically if set to on in the menus when using a M43 lens, but this Nikon lens has of course not electronic communication with the camera ...</p>

<p>One other question I was wondering .. on the Oly EM1 is it possible to specify an aperture for non CPU lenses as is possible with Nikon bodies, so say one could use the A (Aperture priority) and get an accurate meter reading or does adapting lenses to this body require going by the histogram/viewfinder live image to determine appropriate exposure via ISO/shutter in the manual mode?</p>

<p>Thanks much in advance!</p>

<p>The adaptors for µ43 don't transmit aperture information, but with my EM-5 I can use A mode just fine, and metering works just fine. There are adaptors (like mine) that will allow you to use a G lens and set the aperture using a continuous sliding scale. You'll never know exactly what the aperture is, but you'll see the results in real time in the viewfinder.<br>

<br />I wouldn't rely on G lenses for serious work. I only got the adaptor for occasional use with the only Nikon lens I kept when I switched, my 55mm micro f3.5. I don't use AF with macro anyway, and it works great. For general photography, I'd just use a µ43 lens.</p>

<p>You are on your own with focus of course. The 5 doesn't help you at all, except being able to zoom in. I don't know about the 1.</p>

<p>You can activate both focus peaking and magnified view with the E-M1 using lenses that have no communication. In the menu, go to Gear-B-Button Function. Then go through the button options to find focus peaking and magnify and assign them to different buttons. I know Fn1 and Fn2 has these options. Probably others too. </p>

<p>I have used both via buttons with legacy, manual focus lenses on adapters.<br>

I'm not sure what the aperture question is about. I use stopped-down legacy lenses in A mode with no metering problems, provided I have selected the metered part of the frame appropriately i.e. as for any system lens.</p>