D7000 to D7100

johne37179

<p>To add to my personal observations regarding the greater exposure latitude of the D7100's sensor, several independent sites note the better dynamic range of the D7100 over the D7000; e.g. dxomark.com shows that the D7100 is ahead in dynamic range from about ISO 200 to 25600 (also it has an edge in colour sensitivity i.e. how many colours can be differentiated from noise), and a second lab (senscore.org) rate the D7100's dynamic range with score 955, the D7000 was given 583. A third site, by Bill Claff,</p>

<p>http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm</p>

<p>use the so-called photographic dynamic range where the lower limit is set to SNR = 20 instead of SNR = 1 as dxomark use. Claff's figures give perhaps a more realistic idea of what the usable range is. In his evaluations the D7100 is from 0.4 to 0.8 stops ahead of the D7000 in photographic dynamic range, depending on the ISO. All three sites agree regarding the relative merits of the two sensors though they may measure and define DR differently and use different scoring units.</p>

<p>What is nice is that Nikon is not bound to any single sensor manufacturer and can choose whoever gives them the best performance characteristics and price. I suspect are in a better position to negotiate price over the long term by not always going with the same manufacturer's products. </p>

<p>I made this change because of the improved AF. <em>But</em>, I was one of those dissatisfied with D7000 AF, if this is not an issue for you then the switch may not be worth it. I've also found the greater resolution and lack of AA filter of the D7100 an advantage, the enhanced cropping possibilities are very significant. I also find the D7100 a bit less likely to be fooled into strange exposure choices. Unlike most Nikon DSLRs the D7100 has a Toshiba sensor which some don't like. Bottom line, there are measurable advantages to the D7100 (of course) but they may not be properties that are critical for you and D7000 remains a fine camera.</p>